• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tiny LapTops too HOT for your lap !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IronTom

ACER Aspire NAV50 + SAMSUNG SA10

Both have 10" screen, Intel Atom CPU, harddisk, wifi, bluething.
Both overheat.
Both have same ventilation problems.

Poorly designed 'tiny laptop' that you cannot put in your lap.

I thought a little dis-assembly, clean-out the wooly things, and we'd be good-to-go.
Wrong! The Acer cpu paste had crumbled from old age, and the beer-tab heatsink had warped from the heat.

I'm serious,,, the fan is near the size of $.25 coin, with attached beer-tab pretending to keep the cpu cool.
I tin-snipped the beer-tab to the trash and installed just the fan. Epoxyed a new $ quarter to the cpu as the heat-sink.
Cut a 2" diameter hole in the case bottom, and covered it with a shiny chrome plated 2.5" fan screen.
Looks cool ! Is cool ! She loves it !

The real test was after the GrandDaughter uses it for two hours, then leaves it running, on her bed.
I found it a few minutes later, still running luke-warm but zero heat near the cpu.

I was about to duplicate the treatment on the Samsung, when my enjuneer-Son squalked "EPOXY ON THE CPU !!!"
Did I make a foo-pah ? I've been using epoxy ever-since Intel made the P-4 room-heater.

I have a nice copper coin from Mexico for the Samsung !;)

There are many kinds of epoxy, some are made for thermal applications. Should be fine with something like an atom. JB weld I don't know, but it could work too lol.

Back