• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tips and Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Superclocker201

I have been building computers off and on for 10 years. I have had a few water cooling cpu, mostly pre filled or kits. I am wanting to build a new computer and I wanted to to a custom loop. I was looking at the Corsair Obsidian 900D Elite, with 2 480 rad, and 320 rad. I wanted a single loop with two gpu cooling, cpu and ram cooling. I was thinking of doing the gpu with a one way flow and the rest doing compression fitings. I was wondering on what you all thought and any suggestions you might have.

Welcome!

First, list the specific hardware you are going to put it under (CPU, GPUs). That will help us figure out if your radded properly. You have a lot of rad listed.

Next, I would suggest not cooling ram. Its pointless from a performance standpoint and those blocks can be pretty restrictive (and you want a single loop).

Last edited:
Sounds fun, two 480's should be enough for everything; but as ED said, get a list together, mayb a shoplist of the watercool gear after you choose all the system gear, list it up here and we'll give u a critique.

as stated, cooling the ram is pointless, same as the NB/SB (for normal use and gaming.) a ram fan setup would do just nice.

i would suggest 1/2" piping, solid single or dual D5 pump setup, top of the line blocks for GPU/CPU, fittings of choice for looks.

2 480s should be more than enough cooling for a CPU + 2 GPU SLI/Xfire setup. I am guessing you're going for extreme silence? With that much heat surface I'd grab some really nice premium rad fans like the Noiseblockers e-loops B12s (PWM) while going with a MCP-35X2 (Dual DDC) pumps.

I also should add that 2 480s and a 360 will not fit in a 900D. You can fit a 240/280 on the PSU side and a 420/480 on the other side of the PSU/Rad. The top can also fit a 420/480 but if you do go with anything pretty much bigger than a 360, you will lose the top bay while only leaving you with 3 instead of 4. The front gets a little tricky since there are 2 radiators at the bottom which will get in the way. I believe you might be able to fit a 240 or less in front while the bottom is being occupied by the rads. I would recommend using the front as an intake including the bottom and top while using the rear as a exhaust. Reason why I say this is because all intake points are filtered while the unfiltered back is used as exhaust.

If you need any ideas, take a look at my signature of my 900D build log. Might give you a better perspective.

Hope this all helps.

Unless it is FB-DIMM or RAMBUS. They need phase change or LN2 unless you want to cook dinner.

FB-DIMM isn't used on consumer-grade equipment, server-grade is a whole different world.

Oh man, RAMBUS, that 15 year old stuff :rofl:

I know what you're getting at, and it is a good point, but we're speaking modern consumer equipment.

Back