• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tips on getting faster FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The thing is that chips overclock differently. A T2B 1700DUT3C will get you an average of 2.1GHz & the T2B 1700DLT3C would be about 2.4Ghz. Palominos clock higher than Thunderbirds but are no match againts T2Bs. Your motherboard will not run a XP3000+ 400FSB no matter what kind of memory you put in there, you need a 1/6 divisor & your board doesnt have it.

Before you go buy a lot of new stuff better learn the basics with what you have then if the final overclock doesnt satisfy you then its time to upgrade.

You know what I think my whole problem is...NOTHING IS EVER FAST ENOUGH FOR ME! To get the speeds I really want I would probably have to build a $4000 system. All I am trying to do is get my SETI WU times under 2 hours and play games where I don't react faster than the game (a lot of that is probably my current vid card...also junk like the Pally).

sorry to say it, but sometimes you just hit a wall. Even if your cpu is capable of more, your mobo might not. My old MSI 6309 would run all day at 140mhz, but go one more step and it wouldn't even POST.

Well I'm going to the comp. show tomorrow and will hopefully pick up a new chip and vid card...prob a 1700 and a Radeon 9700 Pro. Might get a 2800/333. Not sure if my board can handle it though. Any thoughts?

q149 said:
it looks like you have a pally 1900 so you probably need a new cpu to do much overclocking.

Why do you say this. After all you can get a 1900+ up to 2400MHz and higher. I was running mine at 158FSB at 1.85 Vcore. I could've gone high if my dragon ultra would've let me go higher then 1.85 vcore.

Klownin79 said:

Why do you say this. After all you can get a 1900+ up to 2400MHz and higher. I was running mine at 158FSB at 1.85 Vcore. I could've gone high if my dragon ultra would've let me go higher then 1.85 vcore.

No way you could get a 1900+ Pally to those speeds.

Take a look at the CPU data base and you will see the first one is a 1900+@2400MHz and yes all of them are Pallys. So I guess it can be done.

Last edited:
Ther is false entries in there. Somehow i highly doubt that those are Pallys since you basically need a pelt or prommy or some extreme cooling and super high vcore just to get 2ghz with one... Not to mention it says those two at 2.4 are on air... they are false.

I just got back from the computer show. Well, I didn't get the vid card, but I did pick up a 2200, a new aluminium case and a TT Volcano 7+. :D

What's the letters after AIUHB, its 3 letters then a number then another letter like

AXDA 2500 DKV4D
AQXEA 0322 TPBW

How are you sure it's an A? Everything I've been reading says it's a B. Right now I'm booted in as 100MHz and Auto X. The minute I change anything in the BIOS I get no video display.

SORRY!!!!! I meant to say it was a T2B. The KT333 chipsets have problems using 13X multipliers & up, check the MoBo Manufacturers site for a BIOS update that will allow you to run that chip properly. The next thing you have to find out is which set of multipliers that you will want to run, either 5X - 12.5X or 13X - 20X for the KT333, so you can hard lock the board into recognizing which set to map itself to.

I had a Palimino 1900+, and it was a hunk of trash. I got the T-bred B for $76 (including shim, thermal compound, and shipping), and I'm doing about 2 ghz no hassle, not even having to up the voltage and the bastidge is stable. That Pal never gave me more than 141. At 142 is pooped out. And I have the same RAM as you. So unless you're doing 333MHz on it, the benefit isn't worth lowering your settings for your RAM. Invest in the RAM if you like. But right now, at Excaliberpc.com, you can get the JUIHB:310XPMW for $65 with shim and compound, and shipping was like $4 for me (cpu was $72, it has gone down in the last three weeks).

G'luck.

-Frank

I'm flashing the newest BIOS revision when I get home from work today...just got too tired last night. What's this you're saying about locking the board? I can say that I am limited to 180 FSB or under due to only haveing the 1/5 divisor, so most likely it will be the 13x and up.

There are 2 ways of locking the multipliers sets, either by chip mod or mobo mod, your choice really. The CPU section will have the info you need just search for wire trick.

Back