• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TitanFall is Amazing! Can anyone run insane at 1440p?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeaaa I dunno what they are using for their PC, but mine doesn't look anything like that (in a good way). I have nothing but good things to say about how the game looks on my rig.

Yes. 100% agreed. I have tried the one in store and it was nothing like gaming on ultra at 1440p. can't compare it. I think they should do screenshots not video when they're comparing

I get crashes randomly in matches. Sometimes it will be 1 minute into the match, sometimes I can go several matches. It's not consistent at all. Everytime, it will crash to desktop with a fail in materialsystem_dx11.dll. Judging by this thread here, looks like I'm not the only one.

Anyone else here getting the same crash?

Yeaaa I dunno what they are using for their PC, but mine doesn't look anything like that (in a good way). I have nothing but good things to say about how the game looks on my rig.
Do you have some screen shots to post so we can take a look?

I never played but I am sick and tired of hearing about it never has a game like TF been shoved in my face on any games site or mag I read

Yes. 100% agreed. I have tried the one in store and it was nothing like gaming on ultra at 1440p. can't compare it. I think they should do screenshots not video when they're comparing

Yea it really makes me wonder what IGN is really trying to do with those comparison videos. Every one I have ever seen is just straight nonsense. The ONLY recent review that I can think of that made any sense was when they compared Tomb Raider Definitive Edition for PS4 and XboxOne to the normal edition on PC. The thing is, they failed to mention that the PC edition is NOT the definitive, its the original port which in some cases even bested the Definitive.

Do you have some screen shots to post so we can take a look?

I'll take some when I play in a few. I'm playing it with max everything on 1080p. Typically stays over 100fps but sometimes in certain situations drops to around 70. Not that I'm complaining :thup:

Just wait until Valve gets around to making Half Life 3 :rofl:

Yep. That will be fun! It's funny how Gabe Newell totally deflected all HL3 related questions at the AMA he held a week or two ago. There is no way in hell they aren't working on it. It just wouldn't make sense from a business standpoint if there was zero or minimal movement. They have more than enough manpower to focus on Source2, Steam Machine, etc, all the things they have tried to bring to the table OTHER than Half Life.

FYI. You can completely remove the intro videos by going to /Origin/Games/Titanfall/r1/media/startupvids.txt << open this .txt and DELETE the 3 lines completely. save. now when you run the game it will jump right to the title screen! w00t!! Please spread this knowledge ;D

FYI. You can completely remove the intro videos by going to /Origin/Games/Titanfall/r1/media/startupvids.txt << open this .txt and DELETE the 3 lines completely. save. now when you run the game it will jump right to the title screen! w00t!! Please spread this knowledge ;D

What happened to letting a person hit a key to skip an intro video? That used to be a feature of nearly every game...

Thanks for the info. However, I made a copy of the file and named it startupvids_backup before deleting the lines in the original.

He's saying this will bypass that video entirely instead of having to skip.

I know that. My complaint is the required editing of configurations to disable such videos in new games. Used to be that most games would let you just press a key to skip the intro videos (see any Valve game for an example).

Found that turning on any anti-aliasing at all kills FPS for me, but it looks nice while I'm standing still :)

Titanfall 1.jpg Titanfall 2.jpg

I know that. My complaint is the required editing of configurations to disable such videos in new games. Used to be that most games would let you just press a key to skip the intro videos (see any Valve game for an example).

Found that turning on any anti-aliasing at all kills FPS for me, but it looks nice while I'm standing still :)

It (or at least the beta) does let you skip the intro.
This completely bypasses it instead of having to skip it.

Didn't check to see if anyone mentioned this but instead of skipping intros though text alterations in origin you can just put "-novid"

Scratch this, apparently it only works for the intro movie when you start the game? I don't know.

I love this game so far, it's like mixing Killzone and Quake together. I love the wall-running-double-jumping-jet-packing-using awesomeness. It seriously brings me back to my Quake 3 days.

EDIT: Just curious... is anyone having odd performance at 1080p with insane textures? I have rag dolls set to off and AA off as well. Most of the time the game is buttery smooth but now and then it'll have fps drops. It's not always in combat which is what I initially thought was causing it.

Last edited:
I never got into BF/COD that much, though I do enjoy Titanfall quiet a bit.

Think it reminds me partially of the old days of Quake/Unreal Tourney. Fast action and unique take on moving around the maps.
IMO Wall running is fun, but not used all that much ingame. Sort of do it on accident sometimes, but useful for extra jumps to get even higher.

The original Modern Warfare was a great multiplayer game. The following games just got SO over the top. Focused on bells and whistles galore as opposed to focusing and optimizing the primary purpose of the game. 80/20 rule. This is where I think Titanfall exceeds. There are plenty of those good ol' bells and whistles, but they were implemented in a way that does not detract from the 80% purpose of the game, the critical use case.

One of my favorite things about the game is the Grunt and Spectre bots. It keeps you continuously shooting fighting and whatnot, but they aren't as skilled as actual Pilots. This is a great medium between COD 30 player + over the top servers and not having enough players to keep you constantly engaged in the game.

The original Modern Warfare was a great multiplayer game. The following games just got SO over the top. Focused on bells and whistles galore as opposed to focusing and optimizing the primary purpose of the game. 80/20 rule. This is where I think Titanfall exceeds. There are plenty of those good ol' bells and whistles, but they were implemented in a way that does not detract from the 80% purpose of the game, the critical use case.

One of my favorite things about the game is the Grunt and Spectre bots. It keeps you continuously shooting fighting and whatnot, but they aren't as skilled as actual Pilots. This is a great medium between COD 30 player + over the top servers and not having enough players to keep you constantly engaged in the game.

Indeed the Grunts/Spector Bots add something that you don't get in other games and can fill in a level a bit more. Especially the few levels that they seem to be crawling out of the wood work.

Forgot the exact level name but its a production facility for the Spectors and you could have 6-10 in a single spot for you to deal with. They are easy but when your trying to decipher between bot and player that is hiding among them its a PITA, and makes a challenge.

Back