• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To all 2500+ Barton users! Post info inside...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a XP 2500+ barton green oem. white core, ill post the exact stepping later. Ok here is the thing I have a dangerden maze-3 and i couldnt get the chip to post over 2275 mhz. That is with a heater core radiator and a 2 gallon reservoir.

With a 226w pelt it is definetly a different story, i got it all the way up to 2487.5 mhz, (12.5 x 199). stock voltage on cpu and mem. The chip ran at 10-17 Celcius, The water block itself just dosent cool the chip enough to get a higher overclock.

In sig.....Will get into windows at 185x13 (2405MHz)@ 1.8 Vcore but PCmark crashes half way through. Prime95 stable at 2.31 GHz but runs hotter than I'm happy with. 2.22GHz is the best ballance for my system.

AQXEA 0323 "Y" retail package. Lapped Thermalright SK-7.

205x11 -100% stable in Sandra, Hot CPU, PCMark at stock vcore, but freezes in Prime95. Can't figure out why. Totally stable in everyday use.

Running 200x11 right now.

what's this "Y" that everyone keeps mentioning??

someone asked about the break down of all the numbers:
aqxea0327vpaw
-03 means 2003
-27 means 27th week of the year
-aqxea is the 'stepping', it's sorta like a***b or j***b for thoroughbred B cores and a***a for tbred A cores.....

-the 28 is believed to say that this 2500+ was a 2800+ with problems or something so it 'could' do 2800+ speeds at default....

feel free to correct any mistakes i made :/

AXDA2500DKV4D Y8S0058250434
AQXEA 0324SPCW

Stable at 1.75V (Edit: had to up it to 1.8). Stock Cooling. 210x10.5 (2205).

It will run faster for a short amount of time, but the stock cooling doesn't keep it cool enough. After it hits 55C it fails.

At 1.75 V it runs really cool.

I ran at 10.5 x 215 (2257.5) pretty reliably, but it heated to 54C while running 3dmark 2003 and died in 3dm2001.

The FSB runs up to 217, the CPU won't post at 2300. I think we're seeing the limitations of that large cache.

FYI

HW

Last edited:
I don't remember my stepping, but mine will only do 2205MHZ @ 200 fsb. That is at 1.65v but no matter how high up I take the voltage it will still not run stable in Prime95 at anything over that speed. Sometimes it isn't even stable at stock speeds in Prime95.

Nick Burns said:
I don't remember my stepping, but mine will only do 2205MHZ @ 200 fsb. That is at 1.65v but no matter how high up I take the voltage it will still not run stable in Prime95 at anything over that speed. Sometimes it isn't even stable at stock speeds in Prime95.

Sounds like you have heat problems. What temperature are you seeing under load? Anything over 50C?

Maybe you could use some better thermal paste. I'm pretty sure if I scraped off the stock gunk and put on my Artic Silver I'd be better off. I'm just lazy.

HW

Hardwarewizzard- I have 5 case fans, an slk-900-u, arctic silver 3, and a 92mm Panaflo. My temps are 37 idle and about 43 load. When I overclock it up to 2.2GHZ I have seen temps as high as 54 with 1.8v.

Nick Burns said:
Hardwarewizzard- I have 5 case fans, an slk-900-u, arctic silver 3, and a 92mm Panaflo. My temps are 37 idle and about 43 load. When I overclock it up to 2.2GHZ I have seen temps as high as 54 with 1.8v.

Nick,

If its failing at 1.8GHz, stock voltage with all that cooling, its a lemon. Its got to be. Unless your power supply is cheap. You need at least 350 Watts, 400 or more would be better (especially with all them fans) Maybe you should disconnect a few and see if that helps.

Mine got up to 58C last night running Prime 95. I've decided I don't have enough cooling on it. I could actually smell the heat.

What power supply do you have and what mother board / chipset?

HW

I think I found my problem. I have a 450W no-name power supply that came with my Chieftec server chasis. I looked at my voltage readings in my BIOS and it said 1.63V instead of the 1.65V that it is suppose to be at. Could this little shortage be causing it? I upped the voltage to 1.675 and it runs right at 1.65V. It still freezes after about 20 minutes of Prime though. But hey, a small improvement is better than none. Once I get the money, I will go and buy an Antec TRUE480W power supply. Do you think the power supply is the problem or do I jsut have a Lemon?
Maybe I will go grab my old 1900+ chip and see if it can run stable in Prime. My mobo is an 8rda3+.

Nick Burns said:
I think I found my problem. I have a 450W no-name power supply that came with my Chieftec server chasis. I looked at my voltage readings in my BIOS and it said 1.63V instead of the 1.65V that it is suppose to be at. Could this little shortage be causing it? I upped the voltage to 1.675 and it runs right at 1.65V. It still freezes after about 20 minutes of Prime though. But hey, a small improvement is better than none. Once I get the money, I will go and buy an Antec TRUE480W power supply. Do you think the power supply is the problem or do I jsut have a Lemon?
Maybe I will go grab my old 1900+ chip and see if it can run stable in Prime. My mobo is an 8rda3+.

The power supply actually has little to do with the voltage going to the core, the power for the core is generated on the mobo. At this point I'd suspect the mobo. A huge power supply like that one shouldn't have any problems. I'm wondering if you have noise issues.

Are you running the FSB at stock speeds and not over clocking the memory? Make sure everything is stock standard speed.

Try reseating the power connector to the motherboard (there are two of them, make sure you have the extra 12V connector in cleanly as well, that is where VCORE comes from I think).

Then disconnect every extra peripheral you don't need, like CDROMS, DVDs, extra hard drives, etc. And remove every pci card you dont need and then try running prime 95.

You could also up the voltage to 1.70 or 1.75 and see if that helps but it should not be necessary to run at 1800 / 266.

Let me know how it goes,

HW

Wrote this down when I put in this new Asus board.

AXDA2500DKV4D
AQUCA0309UPBW

Now I've looked in the CPU database and cats with my stepping seem to be doing pretty good with it. Although they use outrageous cooling systems. Anyway, right now I'm runnin at 3200+ speeds with the stock heatsink. I realize now that what was holdin me back was my other motherboard it was a FIC AU11 but it would only go to 190FSB. I'm at 11x200 now, ordered a watercooling kit yesterday with a DTek TC-4 Block, hopefully I'll be able to get to 2.5, I'll be satisfied with that.

I've got my barton running at 14 x 170. I didn't write down the stepping, however.

my sig is my current stable o/c without stressing it, earlier tonight i said what the hell and with the vcore @ 1.85 hit 2368mhz (189*12.5), ran sandra but crashed on 2nd run of 3dmark03. ran arithmetic of a 3g pentium in sandra though :D

edit:
pic3_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
2500+ stepping AQXDA week 21. Using a Vantec Aeroflow heatsink (and an open case side) been able to run the multiplier up from 11 to 13x FSB 166Mhz with no problems and running Folding@Home. Seperately tested FSB up to 181Mhz also with 100% CPU and no instability- and this is just with generic PC2700 ram in my Abit NF7-M. All these tests were run at stock 1.65v cpu. This processor throws a lot of heat though and I would recommend a LOT of air flow to keep things cool. I plan on leaving the system at stock speed for now until the Texas heat dies down a bit.

Back