• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To De-lid or Not to......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks!!

In due time, sooner or later Id like to propose results reguarding a delid on 220W 9590. I will test at stock. Its hot enough to do so. Over twice that of an Intel counter part that wouldnt need a delid in the first place.

Just a shame there isnt more information about AMD delidding other than my teens of personal experiences.

I will not re use the plate, but may perhaps test with just for data purposes and see how it turns out.

Ill use my modified water block thats been in use for many years and post results.

All you guys gotta do is sit wait and when the time comes, wish me luck I dont kill the darn thing.

Peace be with you!

Thanks!!

In due time, sooner or later Id like to propose results reguarding a delid on 220W 9590. I will test at stock. Its hot enough to do so. Over twice that of an Intel counter part that wouldnt need a delid in the first place.

Just a shame there isnt more information about AMD delidding other than my teens of personal experiences.

I will not re use the plate, but may perhaps test with just for data purposes and see how it turns out.

Ill use my modified water block thats been in use for many years and post results.

All you guys gotta do is sit wait and when the time comes, wish me luck I dont kill the darn thing.

Peace be with you!

Deep down I was hoping for this de-lid heheh.
Good luck on it Shrimpy!

Plz don't kill it!!

definitely post before and after results, be interesting to see how amd compares to intels solder delid. But if removing solder...definitely want to go bare die...could try liquid metal vs paste though.

There are tons of people that have measured it on xtreme using accurate methods years ago, and many on oc.net more recently. If you post there that it is better to delid a soldered die and put paste tim on, you will get pummeled by many that know better, because they have measured it themselves. This is the first forum I have ever heard of anyone saying that putting 5 w/mk paste on hot spots on die cools better than a soldered ihs (because of surface area limitations of hot spots).
I don't care what they say or do at OCN. I'm sure the methodology of testing is the same as everybody else's, and based on the ratio of quality members there vs. noobs and loud mouths, as compared to other sites, maybe even not as good.
I get around to quite a few sites, I have been, for a couple decades, and other than your posts, and what you claim is said at OCN, I have never seen anybody poo poo de-lidding.
I've been doing it for years with nothing but positive results. If I wasn't getting the results, I wouldn't bother, and being as blunt as I am you can bet I would tell you not to waste your time. I only speak for the AMD de-lids though. I've done a few older Intel processors before, but none newer than socket 478. All of those were positive experiences though also.:shrug:
Don't think de-lidding works?.....that's fine. I'll still de-lid as long as it gets me the temps and OC I need to kick your *** benching.;)
Different strokes for different folks.

definitely post before and after results, be interesting to see how amd compares to intels solder delid. But if removing solder...definitely want to go bare die...could try liquid metal vs paste though.

Will do.

Always remove IHS and not re-use it. (for daily use) otherwise will test with it, I already know it's pointless.

Will not try liquid metal. For above reason (daily use)

I have never seen anybody poo poo de-lidding.

I don't think that's what rge was getting at. He was leaning towards re-using IHS plate and thought I'd replace solder with TIM. This is not something I've ever recommended to any one and certainly not for air cooling.

@ DOC...

Brother, you have amazed me through the years. de-lid or not, you have skills!

I don't care what they say or do at OCN. I'm sure the methodology of testing is the same as everybody else's, and based on the ratio of quality members there vs. noobs and loud mouths, as compared to other sites, maybe even not as good.
I get around to quite a few sites, I have been, for a couple decades, and other than your posts, and what you claim is said at OCN, I have never seen anybody poo poo de-lidding.
I've been doing it for years with nothing but positive results. If I wasn't getting the results, I wouldn't bother, and being as blunt as I am you can bet I would tell you not to waste your time. I only speak for the AMD de-lids though. I've done a few older Intel processors before, but none newer than socket 478. All of those were positive experiences though also.:shrug:
Don't think de-lidding works?.....that's fine. I'll still de-lid as long as it gets me the temps and OC I need to kick your *** benching.;)
Different strokes for different folks.

I delidded my 4790k, dropped temps 22C. reading comprehension is important.

- - - Updated - - -

Will do.

Always remove IHS and not re-use it. (for daily use) otherwise will test with it, I already know it's pointless.

Will not try liquid metal. For above reason (daily use)

I don't think that's what rge was getting at. He was leaning towards re-using IHS plate and thought I'd replace solder with TIM. This is not something I've ever recommended to any one and certainly not for air cooling.

@ DOC...

Brother, you have amazed me through the years. de-lid or not, you have skills!

nope, not even remotely close to what I was talking about...clearly wasting my time here...lol

I delidded my 4790k, dropped temps 22C. reading comprehension is important.

nope, not even remotely close to what I was talking about...clearly wasting my time here...lol

No, im saying removing an intel soldered IHS and going bare die with liquid metal will end with roughly the same temps, up to max 5c better, doubt AMD is much different.

Multiple people now have tried bare die with liquid metal vs ihs back on with liquid metal the temp difference is 4-5C with IHS on or off, if liquid metal used for both.

I don't follow.

Is it 22c drop in temps or 5c drop in temps.

I can read, but you don't make any sense.

I claim only 10c drop in temps.

Never mentioned liquid metal. That was your idea with Intel processors. which by the way, the core has a smaller surface area than AMD ftw.

I have run bare die before, have pics somewhere on xtreme ? 8 yrs ago.

8 years ago?? On Intel?? What's that gotta do with AMD and Cpu now?

Last edited:
Silver_Pharaoh clearly understood what I was saying via his post 35, though he wasnt totally convinced...but he did comprehend, so I didnt totally waste my time. But given you are confusing my single point of nearly every post of delidding 5 w/mk paste and getting 20C improvement vs delidding solder 87w/mk and only getting 5C improvements...we will just have to agree on we are both just wasting space at this point.

Carry on and good luck with the delid.

EDIT: BTW, the only reason I even posted was 2 comments, the 20C temp drop implied on AMD soldered chip, that wasnt your comment, you said 10C, and given 5C is norm on intel soldered chip at 150W load, and the gradient/drop increases with higher wattage, I would have guessed 8C at 220W not to far from 10C. And the comment that solder was a poor heat conductor...tim solder is one of the best heat conductors.

Last edited:
Right!?

You wasted your own time replying giving Intel specs, never de-lidded an AMD processor and have no idea about soldered AMD processors other than what you read.

All I ever implied since 2009 when I started de-lidding AMD soldered chips was that putting core to water block is THE way to go.

Your arguement was Intel does this 8 years ago and that tim to plate more tim to.water block was pointless. Then I agreed with this.and you missed it.

You could reread my posts for your own better understanding of my agreement with you, but instead you insist on trolling this thread with Intel information.

If this was EOCF, youd been asked to leave the thread because of misleading information concerning Intel processors and delidding solder While posting in the AMD section.

If this was EOCF, youd been asked to leave the thread because of misleading information concerning Intel processors and delidding solder While posting in the AMD section.
This isn't EOCF, so with respect, who cares what they would do! The discussion appeared to be MUTUALLY relevant until there was a miscommunication then suddenly its 'get off my lawn'...

Let's move on past this and see some results. :)

:grouphug:

Ive given results since 2009.

And I care. AMD is not Intel. I dont go to OCN and tell them their wrong. In fact I didnt say rge was wrong either. I agreed to his points.

I said AMD solder is poor for conducting beat. I said core TIM water block was better.

When applying Tim while removing solder AND ihs plate is better. I never said other wise thus again agreed with rge.

Then continous troll on what Shrimp said or doesnt understand while trying to flame my character.

Im think to post results here.... Would be a waste of everyones time and should keept to myself, thus no need for a.delid. temps on average always dropped 10c without solder and Ihs plate.

Hopefully that brings some clarification on information.

Removing solder and Ihs plate brings good results meaning solder is poor conductor, spreading heat before removal doesnt work. Since the ihs plate is totally cover by a cooler and only transfering heat, its not really dissipating it. My radiators and fans do that part.

For.further clarification, rge keeps mentioning thermal paste under AMD errr Intel processors using 5 w/mk, while AMD processors are all soldered (FX). Well, its not relavent to this thread whatsoever. I dont need that information. We can however compare soldered chips.

But again looking back to Rgones statement we find he mentions "many variables".

!!!!

Had me shocked rge went the route he did knowing that rule applies. Mixing amd and intel specs .... Well whats the control? Whats the wattage? Whats the barometer say today vs yeasterday.

I stand by my statement removing solder and ihs plate is better with tim to water block. I dont care what rge has to say other than I am agree 100 percent, in the end experience HERE is under my belt. Plop the Intel specs, find some AMD specs, I know for a fact theres one other guy out there thats successfully delidded amd processor, followed my steps and had a great time.

I still care earthdog.

Moving on.

Maybe Ill ccompile some AMD processor pictures later. You know delidded stuff.

The eye candies should be more fun, dontcha think?

Crap its not the right one....

Sry lemme try again....

Attachments

• 20150201_163833.jpg
    20150201_163833.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
Back