• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tom's Hardware Guide CPU Charts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wierd the tbred XP2800 results are with DDR266. Tryna fudge them or something?

Actually, most of those results tell me it's not worth getting a cheap A64 class setup if you're running AXP or barton in the region of 2.2-2.6G You have to go high end to see much improvement.

TBH it's a bit old now and a little out of date; what with San Diego chips now more the norm than Clawhammer etc but still useful.

RoadWarrior said:
Actually, most of those results tell me it's not worth getting a cheap A64 class setup if you're running AXP or barton in the region of 2.2-2.6G You have to go high end to see much improvement.
Not really, you just OC the low end A64's and you have high end performance. To compare an OC'd AXP to a stock A64 his hardly a fair comparison.

RoadWarrior said:

Most of the benches I looked at showed a 20-40% improvement when going from a AXP 3000+ Barton to a A64 3000+. I think that's a pretty substantial improvement, don't you?

All I know is that I was running an AXP 2100+ TBred at 2.32 GHz, and it was totally bottlenecking my games (couldn't get much more than 40 FPS, even with a 6800GT). When I switched to my A64 3200+ Venice, there was a phenomenal increase in performance, even at lower clock speeds than my AXP. :shrug: I wouldn't put too much weight in these tables.

KillrBuckeye said:
Most of the benches I looked at showed a 20-40% improvement when going from a AXP 3000+ Barton to a A64 3000+. I think that's a pretty substantial improvement, don't you?

All I know is that I was running an AXP 2100+ TBred at 2.32 GHz, and it was totally bottlenecking my games (couldn't get much more than 40 FPS, even with a 6800GT). When I switched to my A64 3200+ Venice, there was a phenomenal increase in performance, even at lower clock speeds than my AXP. :shrug: I wouldn't put too much weight in these tables.

Heh, yeah looking more thoroughly there is a bigger diff on some other benchies than others. But still I don't see me dropping $500 to get like 20% or so. I'm a cheapskate, and there's not a real compulsion to upgrade to lower end A64 class at the moment. Cheaper A64 chips only seem to be clocking to 2.2ish. It will take a solid 50% performance gain on everything, from a ~$100 chip to see me upgrading. Might end up skipping 754 and 939 altogether. Mebbe there will be dual core Semprons for 939 in a while though...

RoadWarrior said:
Heh, yeah looking more thoroughly there is a bigger diff on some other benchies than others. But still I don't see me dropping $500 to get like 20% or so. I'm a cheapskate, and there's not a real compulsion to upgrade to lower end A64 class at the moment. Cheaper A64 chips only seem to be clocking to 2.2ish. It will take a solid 50% performance gain on everything, from a ~$100 chip to see me upgrading. Might end up skipping 754 and 939 altogether. Mebbe there will be dual core Semprons for 939 in a while though...
If you're a gamer, then there's every reason to upgrade to lower end A64. Trust me, the increased memory bandwidth makes a huge difference. And most A64 3000+ and 3200+ chips are easily clocking to 2.5 GHz. Might want to think about it. :)

RoadWarrior said:
Yeah, I am curious about that chart too. A 2800 Tbred B @ ddr266 beating a
3200 Barton @ ddr400?? ....... perhaps I missed something.

Exactly! On many occasions I have seen people recommend a bottom end A64
system when an Athlon user says they want to upgrade only their CPU.
Upgrading to a newer socket doesn't necessarily always mean an improvement.

Back