• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Top Rad - Screw Size

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mark617

So, I am debating an XT45 w/ M3 screws or a GTX w/ M4s (both 480 size) up top. Is the screw size that critical? I will be honest, I have this fear the whole thing will come crashing down from the top of my Primo case.

* I realize I can get washers and probably some button cap screws to be safe, since there is room, I was just curious if I was the only one who worries about this kind of thing haha.

First hand experience, anyone think it matters? It's not like searching the internet shows a lot of issues, so it can't be that big of a deal, if an issue at all. I just consider how much weight a full 480 will have and I worry.

Last edited:
Awesome, I figured it would be you to come to the rescue. Very good. I look at those M3 and they seem small, but it isn't like the hardware store is far away and there is plenty of room above those pulling fans.

Thanks !

If you're doing push/pull, the included screws will hold the fans and the radiator. I have only push (so far), so I have little screws holding it. Thinking about washers since they are not a lot bigger than the hole...

If you're doing push/pull, the included screws will hold the fans and the radiator. I have only push (so far), so I have little screws holding it. Thinking about washers since they are not a lot bigger than the hole...

Yeah, the included are 30 and 35mm I believe, so I think on the top I will add washers and perhaps spacers / grommets if need be to make up the room.

As hard as it may be to believe, the M3 low carbon screws are capable of withstanding in excess of 500 ftlbs of stress when installed properly and have a tensile strength of around 30,000 psi.

As hard as it may be to believe, the M3 low carbon screws are capable of withstanding in excess of 500 ftlbs of stress when installed properly and have a tensile strength of around 30,000 psi.

Once I start my build I will upload pics of my progress and you will see how I fail to do this so often!

Thanks for the info though, it puts my mind at ease.

I have cheap store screws, not the ones that FrozenCPU sells. $2 for 4 screws seemed to much compared to the $3 for 50 I spent.
Now I'm worried :(

The 'cheap' store screws are XTremely likely to come from the same factories as the 'name brand' screws referenced. Did I say XTremely? XTremely squared. x infinity. +2.

Stop worrying. Just don't do pull ups off your rad, Ehh? :p

Don't worry, physical exercises are not my specialty :D

However, I mounted one tube on Saturday and managed to cut three fingers. The blood running down the white case would have been perfect for Halloween... :p

However, I mounted one tube on Saturday and managed to cut three fingers. The blood running down the white case would have been perfect for Halloween... :p

WTF :rofl: Maybe it would have gone well with a red and white theme. :p

Back