• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Totally fried computer! Make your guess as to what caused it. With Pictures!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just think that God hates them and knows they should not be using computers! :D

I have come up with the answer:

He was moving his computer, yes, that was what started it. As he was moving it, he accidentaly dragged his shoe against the carpet several times striking up much static electricity thereby positivly charging the particles in his cloths and body. As he sat the computer down, he plugged the cords in, all into their correct spot. He then proceded to call in his secretary. He shut the door. They began undressing, and whoas guys! Shuffling around to get the cloths back on, he rubbed the static charge onto her. A voice said "turn the workstation back on, I need some files." As the secretary went to go turn on the computer, she tripped and fell, and hit her head on the corner of the metal desk, slicing the poor ethernet cable in half, but releasing the charge onto the cable, therby damaging the computer and its components.

I think we are all satisfied with this answer, as I have finaly found the problem. Glad I could help.

Just a hair over the line. This isn't the forum for Penthouse letters.

donny_paycheck

Sk8erfreak986 said:
was that story really necessary :p
I think he should write for Penthouse. :cool:

But I had to tweak it a little anyway. :(

As for the initial post, that was one hell of a power surge to reach across the motherboard and hit the hard drives. Because it wasn't confined to the mobo, it couldn't have been a surge through the ethernet port. The only possible option is a surge originating from within the PSU circuitry. I would get an ATX PSU tester and see if the PSU's internal diagnostic circuitry reported any problems. You know, the thing that lights up that POW_OK LED on the tester.

Yee gods!!!
The first thing that popped into my head was that it looked like an aerial photograph of a plane crash! But then again too much Jack Daniels has that effect on my eyesight!
Or maybe a new member of staff decided to lick the board clean or .......

Are you guys sure it was a bad PSU? How was the boards power circuitry? I've seen the result of a bad psu sending a death spike through a mobo, it killed the power circuitry (blew up a few mosfets) and the PIII 600, but the rest of the peripherals were fine.

The point is, a power spike from the PSU would've gone throug hte circuitry first, one of that apparent size would've blown it up for sure. Is it damaged?

If not, then it sounds like something else happened...maybe the etherkiller?

It looks like soda to me. The harddrive was definitely banged on something HERES MY BET:
Man spill soda into computer and is like OH NOS THATS BAD and then the mobo dies. He tears it apart not knowing what the hell hes looking for and then pries the harddrive out with something hard like a hammer and knocks it against that chip and kills it. Thats what i think atleast

just a guess but i would figure he spilled something in the case or left it in the rain before powering it up

Breadfan said:
Are you guys sure it was a bad PSU? How was the boards power circuitry? I've seen the result of a bad psu sending a death spike through a mobo, it killed the power circuitry (blew up a few mosfets) and the PIII 600, but the rest of the peripherals were fine.
Except that some of the damage was to the hard drive, which would indicate that the surge originated upstream of the motherboard.

my vote is to check the psu to see if it failed. i highly doubt that it was something plugged into the ethernet port. i can't imagine that the whole system would have fried like it did just from the ethernet port... i suppose it could have, but that is a bit extreme if you ask me...

it is also hard to tell since the pics are flippin' huge... i'd suggest resizing them to like 800x600 size... i can't change my res on my laptop to greater than 1024x768 and scrolling is a huge pain... just a thought ;)

donny_paycheck said:

Except that some of the damage was to the hard drive, which would indicate that the surge originated upstream of the motherboard.

Good point...I missed that. Of course, it might have been a user going "crap my mobo fried, but they won't replace this crappy hdd...hmmm.....*KILL!!!*"

If it was a PSU surge, then it must've been one hell of a spike. If it got so far to blow up the onbaord NIC that surge travelled pretty far...

How did the CDrom and floppy do? Survive it?

lol look at how much controversy an idiot sparked....still it would be nice to know what happened.....like there is no explanation of why both the board and HDD were freid....maybe the HDD gave out....computer didnt boot, so he thought it was dirty and sprayed lubricant inside (like with stereo knobs when they get static in them) only it was condutive and yea.....or the etherkiller...maybe he thought that was the right plug lol

Back