• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Totally fried computer! Make your guess as to what caused it. With Pictures!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
check to see if the telephone box on the side of the house is grounded (if you arent responsible) if not call the phone company and have them get you a new computer! they must ground by law

go get them lol

thats 110 voltage that traveled thru that board. something just shorted out causing a direct current thru it, or someone.

I don't see anything wrong with their system...

;-)

I don't know what could do such damage to the HD though.

I would open the PSU, that should tell you a lot.

from the dents in the chips and the burn pattern I'd say ahmammer and a lighter used over the chip then outwards in one direction but they got bored in the others so only that one direction had it that far out, looks alot like a self inflicted wound to me.

i'll go with the stupidity vote meself ...i mean lightning (divine intervention perhaps as in "this rig deserves it")......or as i call it a real genuine FUBAR:D ...mind you the screw behind the mobo sounds plausible;)

This is a funny but relevant story that surely belongs in this thread:
The company i work for has a similar (ok, almost exact) type system as its server in each of its 500+ buildings, all reporting to a main server somewhere.
All are dell GX 110 systems, and all use the same CPU, Memory, etc., including the power supply.
The problem was, the PSUs werent capable of handling the P3 celeron 733's they had in them, with all the other things running on the 5 volt line too.
So what was IT's great idea?
You would think to have Dell come to each station and replace the weak 220 watt supplies with at least a 300.
Nope, IT decided to do it themselves, and in fact skipped over a warranty issue in the process (maybe they owed money on them).
I dont know if there was any recall on the GX series, but looking at the condition of those ICs, and seeing what happens when a controlled 5 volt line, fed by more than 60 volts DC, goes haywire, that could be the cause of so much destruction among the hardware connected to it.
Just my thoughts, I could be wrong.
PoX

Back