• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Transfer speed or RPM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FLCLFan

Im thinking about buying a good harddrive but i cant find any that are SATA 3gb/s and 10000rpm. So what a better pick, a HDD with SATA 3gb/s and 7200rpm or one thats SATA150 and 10000rpm?

Thank you.

There is a HardDrive that conforms to your specs :D

Western Digital Raptor,

They come in 36/74/150GB Flavours :p

SATA 3Gb/s is just a paper spec at this point. No drive can even get near SATA 1.5Gb/s speeds, hence no need for the Raptor to have it. The very newest drives can put out about 105MB/s at the very edge of the disk platters, but certainly can't maintain it. SATA 1.5 handles 187.5MB/s.

the WD raptor is the worlds fastest sata hard drive. and its proven time and time again over 3G drives any day of the week. take that drive and be happy like all the rest of us who have them.

Airbornederekc said:
the WD raptor is the worlds fastest sata hard drive. and its proven time and time again over 3G drives any day of the week. take that drive and be happy like all the rest of us who have them.

O RLY? I know the SATA 3.0 spec in itself doesn't mean much but...

http://techreport.com/reviews/2007q2/wd-caviar-750/index.x?pg=1

I'd take that with 5x the space and all around excellent performance for the same price.

MadMan007 said:
O RLY? I know the SATA 3.0 spec in itself doesn't mean much but...

http://techreport.com/reviews/2007q2/wd-caviar-750/index.x?pg=1

I'd take that with 5x the space and all around excellent performance for the same price.
the Hitachi TB HDD will be having transfers rates that would be faster than most HDD out there with more than 6x the room. So I guess that it depends on what you personally satisfiy with. fast speed and a LOT of room or faster speed with some room.:D

Back