• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tried to Safe Boot, now not getting any signal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vibatrex

Registered
I recently did a scan and found there was a low threat booger. I did the shift + Restart option, and was stuck at a black screen. After holding the power button, I tried again, except was met with no signal. I also noticed my graphics card’s fans were no longer spinning. After removing and reinstalling the graphics card back into the mother board multiple times, still nothing. I tried doing the same with the RAM, but the signal never came back. The GPU does have an awkward squeeze into the motherboard due to a DVI node being right against the case, but I’ve done this before and always managed to get it fitted correctly. Is there anything else I’m missing? Or should I just keep trying to refit the graphics card until it works?

are you using bitlocker? Had a similar issue from that. I had to disable bitlocker from microsoft site on another computer to get around it. Not sure if that was an isolated event, but what I had to go through

When you say, "no signal" do you mean: 1. the PC gives evidence of trying to power up (lights, case fans spinning) but no activity on the display or 2. do you mean no lights, no case fans, no nothing?

And what do you refer to when you talk about a "DVI node"? Do you mean the port at the back end of the video card that you could use to connect a monitor cable to?

Make sure your video card is thoroughly seated in the PCI-e socket. I've had the issue in some cases where the expansion slot header was too short ( or the card's bracket was too tall) and when I tightened the screw to secure the video card it tipped the back end of the card up such that some of the card edge pins no longer made good contact with the ones in the PCI-e slot.

Last edited:
When you say, "no signal" do you mean: 1. the PC gives evidence of trying to power up (lights, case fans spinning) but no activity on the display or 2. do you mean no lights, no case fans, no nothing?

And what do you refer to when you talk about a "DVI node"? Do you mean the port at the back end of the video card that you could use to connect a monitor cable to?

Make sure your video card is thoroughly seated in the PCI-e socket. I've had the issue in some cases where the expansion slot header was too short ( or the card's bracket was too tall) and when I tightened the screw to secure the video card it tipped the back end of the card up such that some of the card edge pins no longer made good contact with the ones in the PCI-e slot.

The motherboard and RAM lights turn on, fans run, just nothing from the GPU.

The DVI port, which has the 2 screw holes, one of those usually makes it a weird fit for the GPU to nestle into the case.

As I recall, you have an old system. Take the video card out of your new system and stick it in the old one or in another system you have access to. Or take the GPU to a computer shop and ask them to stick it in one of their systems to see if it is dead or if there is another problem such as a damaged PCI-e motherboard slot. Speaking of PCI-e slots, have you tried putting the GPU in the other PCI-e slot on the Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus motherboard? You need to determine whether or not the card is the problem or something else. And do you have an old GPU you could temporarily put in the new system to help with that troubleshooting. If another card works in the new system then you have your answer, it's the 5500XT that is bad. It should still be under warranty.

As I recall, you have an old system. Take the video card out of your new system and stick it in the old one or in another system you have access to. Or take the GPU to a computer shop and ask them to stick it in one of their systems to see if it is dead or if there is another problem such as a damaged PCI-e motherboard slot. Speaking of PCI-e slots, have you tried putting the GPU in the other PCI-e slot on the Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus motherboard? You need to determine whether or not the card is the problem or something else. And do you have an old GPU you could temporarily put in the new system to help with that troubleshooting. If another card works in the new system then you have your answer, it's the 5500XT that is bad. It should still be under warranty.

I went ahead and took everything apart, unhooked everything, and rebuilt it. Now the fans are spinning, RAM is lit up, everything is working, but still getting the input not supported

I went ahead and took everything apart, unhooked everything, and rebuilt it. Now the fans are spinning, RAM is lit up, everything is working, but still getting the input not supported

Also, my secondary monitor says to change the current input timing as it’s not supported. How can I do that if I can’t see the desktop?

No idea what I did, but we are up and running! I’m gonna go ahead and delete this thread, thanks for your help, and hopefully I don’t have to ask for help in another 6 months!

Do you have another GPU you can stick in the machine to test whether it is the monitor or the card that is the problem? How old are these monitors?

Back