• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trinity On The Desktop: A10, A8, And A6 Get Benchmarked!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ouch.

Nice improvements in the iGPU area...it will be interesting to see how the i3 2300 stacks up against it...Im sure this will wipe the floor with the i3 2300.

Yes, it seems the performance has improved 15% clock for clock, which is exactly what AMD promised.

So it is 15% faster than Bulldozer clock for clock, that still has it trailing Phenom II, but not by much now and we are going to be looking at ~20% higher clock speeds over Phenom II.

So it will be faster than Phenom II, perhaps by 10% stock, the fact that it has 8 cores will make it more pronounced where they are used against Thuban and IB.

It will not match IB with 4 cores, but it might get close enough to it and when 8 are in use.... dare i say it?

Beyond that it depends on overclocking, how high can it go?

AMD FX-8350 Q3 / Q4

Last edited:
I always wondered... is i possible to disable 4 cores on the 8150 and just go to town on the OC to beat a Phenom ii?

Yes, it seems the performance has improved 15% clock for clock, which is exactly what AMD promised.

So it is 15% faster than Bulldozer clock for clock, that still has it trailing Phenom II, but not by much now and we are going to be looking at ~20% higher clock speeds over Phenom II.

So it will be faster than Phenom II, perhaps by 10% stock, the fact that it has 8 cores will make it more pronounced where they are used against Thuban and IB.

It will not match IB with 4 cores, but it might get close enough to it and when 8 are in use.... dare i say it?

Beyond that it depends on overclocking, how high can it go?

AMD FX-8350 Q3 / Q4
Quoted for reference. :p

Well, I sure do hope your attempts to extrapolate performance are accurate, or low. I like their offerings as an all around package GPU and the pricing is there as well. These fit joe the plumber computer uses so well, this should sell like hotcakes.

So there were some very interesting points in made through that article. Something I am not accustomed to encountering in most TomsHardware stuff I look at. I am effectively convinced to skip trinity as once you average the performance VS liano Its barely a net gain except for iGPU stuffs but shes on dual graphics which I doubt would gain THAT much from it.

I was around reviewing CPUs back when single-core processors started giving way to dual-core chips. Back then, nothing was optimized for threading aside from server-oriented apps. Software developers had to reorient themselves before multi-core desktop CPUs made sense. But it happened. Just look at how much of our suite favors the quad-core APUs over A6-5400K. Scaling clock rate indefinitely proved impossible, so AMD and Intel went wide instead.

The same re-orientation has to happen before the idea that you buy a graphics card for more than gaming is really true (I don’t think it is yet, despite AMD’s claims). That process is happening right now, though, and you can see the momentum building. We expect to see companies like CyberLink on the bleeding edge of technology because it gives them a competitive advantage amongst early adopters. Corel and Adobe aren’t there until it’s ready for prime time. And yet, here they are.

Hmmmm, very nice. Lets hope these little suckers overclock to the moon and back. I want the AM3+ variant though damnit! ;)

Quoted for reference. :p

Oh no....... He's going to put me on the spot :chair: mumy....:cry:

Hmmmm, very nice. Lets hope these little suckers overclock to the moon and back. I want the AM3+ variant though damnit! ;)

Early next year? AMD FX 8350 Vishera CPU production in Q3
It has to beat Thuban, AMD know there customers are hanging on to them as there not impressed by Bulldozer, they have to give them an upgrade path for they surely know anything less and there mainstream CPU market is finished. That will give them an incentive to work hard at the FX-8350.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for it. I'll buy it. I'm not sure what to do with my current chip though. Possibly toss it in my HTPC. I believe the idle power use of the 8120 is less than its current 955BE

I'm waiting for it. I'll buy it. I'm not sure what to do with my current chip though. Possibly toss it in my HTPC. I believe the idle power use of the 8120 is less than its current 955BE

Ebay, i don't know about Australia but in the UK people on Ebay are idiots, they pay second hand near what they cost new Watch this and see what it goes for

There £135 new And that's what i paid for my Thuban in December 2011. with original box and cooler they go for £140 used, minimum.

Yet, and obviously i don't need to say this to you, once out, wait for a potpourri of reviews, get a broad picture on how they perform.

For me i will be convinced of the 15% IPC once Anand and TPU come up with the same findings, and i want to see it overclocked to the max.

Last edited:
I think my old Thuban was the best buy I ever had. $60 though it had gone under water in the floods. Overclocked reasonably well and performed better than my current chip in a couple of things. Most notably Handbrake..... A good thing I only convert videos occasionally. Still annoying though.

I kind of wish I could stop spending money on this stuff..... My last 3 upgrades have been completely unnecessary..... Thing is I can't stop reading and thinking about it until I buy and play with the stuff..... I wish they'd released a 6 module pd chip because I want it ;)

I think my old Thuban was the best buy I ever had. $60 though it had gone under water in the floods. Overclocked reasonably well and performed better than my current chip in a couple of things. Most notably Handbrake..... A good thing I only convert videos occasionally. Still annoying though.

I kind of wish I could stop spending money on this stuff..... My last 3 upgrades have been completely unnecessary..... Thing is I can't stop reading and thinking about it until I buy and play with the stuff..... I wish they'd released a 6 module pd chip because I want it ;)

lol, 6 cores are useful to me as i have a habit of wanting to do everything at once, and i don't close things down when i'm no longer using them, they just sit there....

But, do i really need a CPU like this? no.

Yet, i saw, 6 cores is delicious.... i wanted and i eventually got after waiting a while knowing the price it would eventually end up at.

Just because it exists. :)

Lol. Yep. Me too. Now doesn't ten or twelve cores sound like a must have despite absolutely nothing being able to use it? ;)

Lol. Yep. Me too. Now doesn't ten or twelve cores sound like a must have despite absolutely nothing being able to use it? ;)

For a fun game of how many of those CPU bars can you cram into the System Monitor side bar widget? Yeah sure :clap:

But i don't think 12 cores are so completely useless, no single program will ever use them all.

But i don't think that is entirely the point, in a world of resulting numbers in testing this or that program people forget one of the main reasons for stacking up as many cores as possible.

Which brings me to a new game, how many heavy workload programs can you run simultaneously before your system stttttttuters to a painful grinding halt?

its not just about how fast you can encode this file, its also about how many files can you encode at the same time, or what other things can i do while i wait?

Remember the old days? wow 2 cores.... great, now i don't need to wait for my computer to finish this or that while the only core i have is running @ 87%... i have another one now so i can still use my computer for other things while that file conversion is going on.

You know, since moving from 4 cores its never happened. Everything runs the same regardless of what's running. Even with IntelBurnTest running on Max settings the system is fast and useable

You know, since moving from 4 cores its never happened. Everything runs the same regardless of what's running. Even with IntelBurnTest running on Max settings the system is fast and useable

Windows 7, as far as i know it can only schedule independent assignments for 4 cores simultaneously.

That will change in Windows 8.

PS: Intel Burn is not really for our CPU's, its good for short hand stress testing but that's about it, but yeah i'm still able to do other things while thats running...

Last edited:
Lol, I know its not ideal, but its one of the only things able to use all 8 threads and get near 100% CPU load.

I'm waiting for Windows 8, I expect I'll get somewhat better performance with my current FX, let along PD when its released.

I did read somewhere that 5% is in the bag,- BD Win 8 vs Win 7. there might be more once Win 8 if fully optimized and ready.

If you take out the Sandra results (and you know we 'probably' should) PB romps past K10.5 by 10 to 40%,
Thats 30% and more past BD
But floating point we have to accept is the designs weak point.

Add another 5% to it for Win 8, I think AMD may well be back in this game :)

Fair enough, though I expect things to turn around with Steamroller by pushing the FP calcs onto the GPU. There's nothing I use my system for really favors floating point calcs anyway.

Whether AMD is back in the game really comes down to how much PD will scale for any given power draw. Everything I've read so far looks promising, however as with anything, I'm a little skeptical until product is on the shelves and shipping. Possibly why I wasn't upset after the BD release really ;)

Back