• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Triple Boot 3.1, 98 & Neptune

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So as not to waste a partition, probably install it on the DOS partition?

As opposed to running it "from" Win9x, I understand you are saying http://xosl.sourceforge.net/ cannot be installed on the same partition as Win9x, is that correct?

Most likely, but I'd need to try that to confirm.
I'll do that tomorrow--we just got eh power back on after a 3 hour black out :mad:

You can't really have more than four partitions so with hidden empty partition, you're down to three, right? So DOS, Windows 98 and Neptune?

Question: why would you install DOS, when you can just use DOS prompt from Windows 98, or are you just doing it for the heck of it?

I just gave a box of PC games to my kids only to find out some of them are 95/98 era. So if you all need some of them let me know I will see what I can pry back out of my sons hands.

You can't really have more than four partitions so with hidden empty partition, you're down to three, right? So DOS, Windows 98 and Neptune?

Question: why would you install DOS, when you can just use DOS prompt from Windows 98, or are you just doing it for the heck of it?

I have 3 primary partition, DOS+3.1, 98 and Neptune. Xosl and the "bad" partition are "logical" partitions. I *should* be able to make 1 more primary.

I just gave a box of PC games to my kids only to find out some of them are 95/98 era. So if you all need some of them let me know I will see what I can pry back out of my sons hands.

:rofl: Cool, I bought a huge box full of 95/98 games from a garage sale, I still need to run them so I'll be busy for a while :p
Oh, in that box I bought was Diablo II and Windows 98 OEM! :shock:

Probably been trash talkin' to some of the mods? :)

I am still not clear why Xosl cannot be installed on the same partition as your DOS+3.1?

Xosl/DOS/3.1 | Win98 | Neptune | Click of Death should be your four partitions if possible.

Whats with the trashcans under your name?!

There is a thread here about having messages under you username (i forget the link sorry:( ) I asked about chainging the colour of the stars, so I asked for dark green but that colour is for old mods. I asked for a random colour and I got trash cans instead! :rofl:

Probably been trash talkin' to some of the mods? :)

I am still not clear why Xosl cannot be installed on the same partition as your DOS+3.1?

Xosl/DOS/3.1 | Win98 | Neptune | Click of Death should be your four partitions if possible.

Just got home, I'll try that partition layout after dinner :)

Okay! I installed Xosl using the "install to a DOS drive" option. I installed it to the MS-DOS+3.1 drive and all works well!

I can now boot DOS+3.12, 98 and Neptune!

Next: make enough room for XP maybe and have a 5-boot system! :)

Cool. Another question: How is MS-DOS under Windows 3.11 different from DOS command prompt under Windows 98, doesn't Windows 98 have a boot into DOS option as well?

Cool. Another question: How is MS-DOS under Windows 3.11 different from DOS command prompt under Windows 98, doesn't Windows 98 have a boot into DOS option as well?

It does in fact need DOS to load. Then '98 will load onto DOS.

I have MS-DOS 7.10 installed, and I noticed that Windows 98 loads onto DOS 7.10 (the one I installed) even though DOS is on it's own partition.

Here's the weird part: I can't boot into DOS using the boot menu option "Previous version of MS-DOS", instead, it boots DOS 7.10, then boots into Windows 98 unless I edit the Msdos.sys file myself so it only loads DOS, not Windows 98 by default.

EDIT: Tokae, here is the thread where I got my trash cans :p Request special things for your username

Last edited:
In other words if DOS is needed, simply installing Windows 98 would cover that requirement fully. You would loose Windows 3.11 but you still would get identical DOS under Windows 98, if you went Xosl/Win98 | Neptune | WinXP | Click of Death

In other words if DOS is needed, simply installing Windows 98 would cover that requirement fully. You would loose Windows 3.11 but you still would get identical DOS under Windows 98, if you went Xosl/Win98 | Neptune | WinXP | Click of Death

Yup!

But I have Windows 3.1 lying around so I though eh, why not install it?
:p

I'll mark this thread as solved, just use Xosl and you'll be good to go. :thup:

Oh, thanks everyone for the help and info on this! :D :thup:

Back