• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble with Formula VII / ROG Front Base / Water 3.0 Extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HappyBuddhaman

I am running a Formula VII MB, a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme, and an ROG Front Base. When I boot up from a cold start, I'm getting a POST beep indicating hardware failure, the warning comes up saying CPU fan error.

The Water 3.0 has a Y splitter where two cooling fans plug in, then one cable going to the MB. I have it installed on the main CPU fan pins.

Everything works, finished the build two days ago, both CPU fans on the Water 3.0 work fine, temps are staying in the low to mid 30's through normal use, peaked out in the mid to high 40's while playing some Diablo 3. (CPU is the Intel i-7 4970K, I haven't OC'd it yet)

Aside from the post beep on a cold start (never happens on a shutdown / restart), the fan control on the ROG Front Base ( for those who might have one) reads 0000 for the CPU fan, my only thought is it may not be reading right because of two fans plugged into one port. I might disconnect the Y connection and just straight connect the two fans directly to the MB using the CPU FAN 1 and CPU FAN OPT pins, but that might screw with the Water 3.0, and still throw up a hardware failure. :bang head

Any thoughts?

You should look at the pin configuration of the female ends on the y cable. One of them should have a missing pin. If not, your mobo is trying to read the crossed signals from both fans.

Back