• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

troubleshooting: no boot after adding hardware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
This morning, thought I had killed two vid cards or a motherboard or a power supply or all the aforementioned components at the same time. Perhaps my mishap could be made into a learning experience? I'll give details on what happened and you decide how to troubleshoot the problem. For example, if you say, "Remove the vid card , inspect the slot and contacts, and reseat if no issues are noted." I will tell you the results of this action. We'll see if y'all can collectively fix the problem. Without giving anything away, I did figure out what was wrong and corrective action was taken. The computer (my main rig in signature) is operational again.

Facts leading up to the mishap: I wanted to reinstall Crossfire (add a second Radeon RX 580 video card). I've had this system running these same two cards before, so I know it does work. I shut down the computer and turned off the power switch at the power supply. I removed the side panel and installed the second graphics card into the second slot from the top (first slot has first RX 580 already installed). I turned on the power supply switch and noted LED lights on the motherboard come on like normal. I pushed the front panel power button. Nothing. Immediately, I realized that I had not connected the 8-pin power connector to #2 vid card. I plugged it in and tried the front panel power button again. Nothing.

What do you do next?

I'd unplug the PSU power cord, let it rest for a few minutes, replug and restart.

Edit: if nothing, I would swap the upper slot GPU with the new one (one GPU only), as, if not tested, the 2nd GPU might be faulty.

Oh, yes, and would make sure the PSU is up to the task ;)

PSU power cord was unplugged and let stand for a while and plugged back in. Nothing.

If I'm reading that right, Tir... you would pull the vid cards out and put #2 card in the top slot and test with only one card. Motherboard LEDs light up, but nothing happens when the power button is pressed. I'm assuming your next step would be to swap the vid cards and try #1 by itself. Still nothing.

PSU is removed and put into another rig. It powers up and works fine.

HELP/HINT: The first thing I did was remove #2 vid card and put it back to the way it was working before I started messing with it. With vid card #1 alone, nothing. Next thing I did was swap the cards and tried using #2 card by itself. Still nothing. During the card swapping, I did inspect the slots and card contacts and found nothing of concern.

Ok, looks like we have determined that PSU is ok, but that neither card works in this computer. NOTE: That does not mean they are dead though.

We're making progress, what next?

Last edited:
Next I would jump with a screw driver.
Then would test just the new card.
In this system (and another if this didn't work)

If it works I would check with the 2 systems running . And make sure all cables are pluged in.

And make sure all cables are pluged in.

Bingo. Like you, I did the swapping in and out and tested both cards (I remembered the 8-pin power cable for the cards this time). But, then I started going over all the cables and wires. Sort of an afterthought, like what you did, oh yeah, and check all the cables. It was like you almost forgot to say it because it was so obvious you should do it. LOL, so easy to forget the little things when you are trying to salvage the big things.

It's a tight fit installing #2 vid card into the second slot (remember, these cards are double slot cards, so together they take up 4 slots). In the process of installing #2 card, I must have bumped the front panel power switch wire where it connects to the motherboard. It was loose, so I reconnected it and all was well. But, I don't mind saying I was plenty worried. I was beginning to think both RX 580 cards and/or the motherboard were fried (big bucks).

Moral of the story, pay attention and be careful. If you have to start troubleshooting, check ALL the cables... first.

Last edited:
would have found it before i checked the cables as when I went to jump the mb with the driver I would have saw =)

I have seen those switches go bad so many times it is a go to for me when trouble shooting

would have found it before i checked the cables as when I went to jump the mb with the driver I would have saw =)

I have seen those switches go bad so many times it is a go to for me when trouble shooting

I'm reading posts (especially mine!) and we all think "Nahhhhh. I have too much experience/smarts/knowledge not to catch that right away". But man, getting that experience/smarts/knowledge made me look and feel the fool a lot more often than I feel smart now. :rofl:

Back