• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trustworthy vendors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captainthrall

Happy Independence Day fellow American overclockers!

I'm in the process of building a new computer. After careful consideration, I've chosen the components I'd like to use in my build and I've begun purchasing them all individually part-by-part. In order to get the best prices possible, I'm carefully searching the vast wasteland known as the interweb to find the very best deals. For example, the motherboard I've chosen for my new rig is the MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION LGA1151. The price of that board at various sites is as follows:

-Newegg $284
-Amazon $284
-Walmart $320
-Mwave $299
-Tigerdirect $311
-B&Hphoto $299
-Superbiiz $279 (after $10 4th of July sale discount)

Not only does Superbiiz have the best price, but they don't charge tax for my state, which for this mobo ends up being around $20. So ultimately, the mobo is $25 cheaper. If the difference between Superbiiz and Newegg was only $5, I'd go with newegg because I know them to be an incredibly trustworthy site with fantastic customer service and 100% free returns. However, $25 is an amount worth saving. If I can save that much on each component, it's going to add-up!

Here's the kicker: as I was placing my order at superbiiz (which for the record I've never used before), I read through the terms-of-service and I saw this little doozy "ALL returns require an RMA number and there will be a restocking fee of 15% on all returns for refund." Wait what? So if my mobo is fried and I send it back I'll have to pay $45? Hmmmmm, suddenly saving that extra $25 seems slightly risky.

Naturally I have a few questions for you, my experienced computer building brethren. Do you think it's worth saving the extra $25? Has anyone used Superbiiz before? Do you have any special techniques you use to filter the very best prices out of the internet? Is there a list of 'trustworthy' websites that I can defer to?

Superbiiz is a great site for products, I've used them numerous times. That restocking fee is hardly unusual. If your board dies they will replace it with one of the same. If you return something and ask for a refund most places charge at least 15% restocking fee to prevent people from using a product for a week then returning for a full refund.

By the way, you can use pcpartpicker.com for the prices at many etailers.

I would think "returned for refund" wouldn't apply if you were just replacing a defective part. I just ordered (a few hours ago) a motherboard, CPU, and AIO from them. If you're in no particular hurry you can wait until my parts come in and I'll post in the What Did You Get Today thread. I have parts coming from Amazon, newegg, Super Biiz, Dell, and OutletPC. I'm kind of curious as to how this will go myself. LOL

edit:
By the way, you can use pcpartpicker.com for the prices at many etailers.

That's what I did.

Don't forget to take into account shipping costs. NewEgg often ships stuff free with the "Egg Saver" method but it takes 4-6 days to get it. I would go with Amazon personally, if the price is close, as returns are taken without question. I have an Amazon Prime account and stuff arrives in 2-3 days.

Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and ordered from superbiiz. It was $5 cheaper +$10 off for July 4th + free shipping + no tax.

Ya, I was just checking out their website. Their RAM, coolers, boards, and pretty much everything else is priced $5-$10 higher than the standard Newegg/Amazon prices. If I could save money on all of those things as well as the pcu, then it might be worth the 3 hour round-trip. But meh... after buying a tank of gas and paying tax, I'd only be looking at a $10 savings. Not worth it imo...

Hey look, MC has a location in your home town. Want to pick up a chip for me and make a little road trip to Purdue University? XD

Boilermaker!!!!!!!!!! (Sorry, hardcore Buckeye here!)

haha, If I was going there, I could send it to you with less effort. But, I won't be around there. Sorry. :(

I hear you, my closest MC is in NYC, which I absolutely am not going to make a trip for. That's a 2.5hr trip plus the aggravation of it being NYC! I stick to the e-tailors.

Back