• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying build my first PC to help me leap into a Motion Design career

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whoatom101

Hello all,

I am new to this site due to my quest to build a high-performance PC to help me launch into a career into Motion Graphics. I currently work in print design and illustration, but animation/motion has always interested me. The only problem is: I don't know where to start. I have basic After Effects knowledge (nothing too advanced), and would like to continue and maybe one day become a pro in motion. I think 2-D animation is my main goal and quite possibly learning some Cinema 4D.

I'm working with a 1000–2000k budget. I would like to ask where I should start, and if it's recommended that I should buy moderate-priced hardware? I figure I'd switch out for better parts when more complex jobs demand? I don't exactly want to go all out and but everything that is expensive just for the sake of it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

-Tom

That's a nice budget to work with. Do you need OS , keyboard monitor etc.. or just the main parts. Also what software will you be working with and can it take advantage of 6-8-10 + cores. This will save you time in processing.

I'm going to need to get a new montior and keyboard. I am think of selling my 27" Thunderbolt Display for whatever I can get and use it to a new monitor. I'll need an OS and keyboard as well. I'm looking to start moderate (not small), and build up over time. This is also my first time building one, so I am not exactly super-knowledgable with this stuff. I'm just a Mac guy who is trying to see the light. I will be working mainly with Adobe programs (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, After Effects) and hopefully some Cinema 4D. My main art tool that I use is my iPad Pro with the Procreate program that can use .PSD files back and forth, so syncing files shouldn't be a problem. I'll most likely be working in Windows OS I figure.

I'm going to need to get a new montior and keyboard. I am think of selling my 27" Thunderbolt Display for whatever I can get and use it to a new monitor. I'll need an OS and keyboard as well. I'm looking to start moderate (not small), and build up over time. This is also my first time building one, so I am not exactly super-knowledgable with this stuff. I'm just a Mac guy who is trying to see the light. I will be working mainly with Adobe programs (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, After Effects) and hopefully some Cinema 4D. My main art tool that I use is my iPad Pro with the Procreate program that can use .PSD files back and forth, so syncing files shouldn't be a problem. I'll most likely be working in Windows OS I figure.

My vote is to stay on Mac, keep the display and buy an eGPU; you know it, you're familiar with it and the programs you mention don't work a whole hell of a lot better on PC. Plus depending on what you have it won't run a whole lot faster either. Don't let the Luddites tell you that only idiots/sheep buy Macs, that's complete BS. What Mac are you using?

If you're hellbent on Windows try bootcamp first before you buy *ANYTHING* make sure you're OK with the decision before you do. You wont have to supply a CDkey to install Windows Creator Ed and that will give you the opportunity to see if you want to make the switch before committing cash to it.

As for GPU choices I'm pulling from this link:
https://create.pro/blog/opencl-vs-cuda/

Looks like the majority of apps you're using support CUDA so nVidia is what you should get, specifically a GTX1080/TitanXP whichever you can get cheaper maybe even a cheap 1070 (god help you find one). Graphics cards are outrageous at the moment because of mining so be prepared to dig to find a decently priced one. As long as you're using a Macbook Pro/iMac from MY'2014 or newer you have little reason to upgrade other than an EGPU. Yes I'm aware that the Sonnet Breakout-box requires USB-C but using the official Apple TB3->TB2 will still allow for EGPU support. Start with that and once Coffeelake/Icelake chips launch sometime next Christmas upgrade laptop/desktop. It just makes little sense to shell out 2 grand without know how much help it'll be for what you want to do. All you're really looking for is GPGPU hardware acceleration which I totally get, focus on that and don't let it distract you from your work.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned: I'm using a 2011 MacBook Pro. It works okay for print and design, but basic animation render time and scrubbing is a slow process.

all the things they^^^^^ have all said.
I have just started creating content from scratch, for grins and giggles.
some things I have learned.
you need to render fast, I have to repeat the making 50 times in a row to get my fingers to learn it , the sooner I repeat the creation the quicker I learn all those steps.
a 2560x1440, quality monitor REALLY, REALLY counts.
a second monitor to find and display the various info I need to go hunt up without disturbing where I am in progress, an el-cheap-o second rig will also work fine.
a comfy mouse that fits the hand, try a bunch and try a track ball, my graphic artist, Jatti uses a track ball and swears they are the way to go, I use a mid range logitec.
nothing between the input device and the wireless dongle, a case or monitor can induce just enough lag to frustrate you when making fine, small moves.

A 2011 Macbook Pro is probably short on processing resources for some of the things you are wanting to do. Another option is to build a Hackintosh so as to be able to use your current software. Using an high end Skylake quad core CPU you should be able to build a pretty potent machine that will run the MAC OS and software very well. If you choose the hardware components well it is actually very easy to do. There is a very helpful website that walks you through what to buy and how to build: https://www.tonymacx86.com/ I have a Hackintosh sitting right next to me that I built and it works perfectly.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned: I'm using a 2011 MacBook Pro. It works okay for print and design, but basic animation render time and scrubbing is a slow process.

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...bar-for-1799-600-off-with-no-tax-in-48-states

$1800 MBP 15”
That’s the cheapest I’ve seen it and it’s within budget albeit barely. It does have a mid-range AMD card for compute and a quad. Then once you get more cash you can choose to get a Sonnet and a RX Vega56

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072...akaway+box&dpPl=1&dpID=41WNH5nTYyL&ref=plSrch

It only has 256gb of storage. Is that going to be enough for the kind of tasks OP is doing and planning to do?

Unless you need portability your wasting a ton of money to get a MBP. A desktop for that price would be much better in every aspect.

I agree with keeping the monitor. Here's a build that leaves room for a case and Keyboard/mouse which I think would suit your needs quite well with expandability if you find it's not enough in the future.

list1.JPG list2.JPG

I use my gaming rig for all the program you listed (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, After Effects) as well as putting videos together in programs like PowerDirector/Magix/Pinnacle.
I have less than $2k in it, and that's with my GPU taking almost half your budget, and it runs everything very nicely (I will note I'm not editing any 4k videos, so I can't comment how it handles that).
I think that build Johan posted would be plenty to get you up and running for a while, with room for upgrade/expandability down the road.

Back