• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to build a loop that will cool 3 water blocks and need a little help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mhill11

After reading multiple threads and stickies across multiple forums I have more knowledge from when I started looking into water cooling (which was absolutely nothing),but still not a 100% sure on whats the best route. At first I was thinking of an EK kit, probably the H30 360 HFX but there seems to be a lot of ppl against EK's kits. Ideally I want to try and get a kit that can handle 3 blocks.

First off I'm thinking that Raystorms AX360 extreme will start me off good with the dual D5's but would the Rad effectively cool 3 blocks? or should I look into getting a 2nd Rad also?

secondly, could a single D5 effectively cool 3 blocks with 2 RADS?

Ive been able to budget most of these setups at or around 600$ which is the budget i have set aside for this project.

The biggest thing I'm currently having trouble with right now is will 2 D5's and a 360 Rad cool 3 blocks effectively? if not will an added 120 or 240 Rad help handle 3 blocks?

i5 4670K - mosfet - and the southbridge are the items I'm trying to cool

any and all help will be much appreciated.

Theirs no reason to cool your mosfets or southbridge, just cool your cpu if you want a kit get the xpsc kit I loved mine

"3 block" tells us nothing about heat load, btw. Could be 3 GPUs or 2GPU plus CPU or 2CPU plus GPU (rare, but it happens). Each would have different cooling and rad requirements. You finally told us what you wanted to cool in the end, but keep in mind that number of blocks isn't as critical as heat load.

Your MOSFETS only need water cooling if there's absolutely zero airflow in your case. This is a bad idea anyway since all the surface mount components on your motherboard plus your RAM also need at least a little airflow to stay healthy. Not a lot, just more than none. Southbridge is completely pointless to watercool. I doubt that'd need it even if airflow in the case was zero.

You also don't need two pumps unless you're a huge fan of redundancy, even if you were to use 3 blocks. One good pump (D5 variant or DDC variant) and one good double or triple rad would meet your needs nicely.

Don't forget to budget for a reservoir of some kind (I'm a fan of pump top reservoirs), tubing (Primochill LRT Advanced or go home), rad fans (spend a little extra and get good ones), biocide, plus tubing clamps and fittings. If you want color in your loop, get colored tubing.

After reading multiple threads and stickies across multiple forums I have more knowledge from when I started looking into water cooling (which was absolutely nothing),but still not a 100% sure on whats the best route. At first I was thinking of an EK kit, probably the H30 360 HFX but there seems to be a lot of ppl against EK's kits. Ideally I want to try and get a kit that can handle 3 blocks.

First off I'm thinking that Raystorms AX360 extreme will start me off good with the dual D5's but would the Rad effectively cool 3 blocks? or should I look into getting a 2nd Rad also?

secondly, could a single D5 effectively cool 3 blocks with 2 RADS?

Ive been able to budget most of these setups at or around 600$ which is the budget i have set aside for this project.

The biggest thing I'm currently having trouble with right now is will 2 D5's and a 360 Rad cool 3 blocks effectively? if not will an added 120 or 240 Rad help handle 3 blocks?

i5 4670K - mosfet - and the southbridge are the items I'm trying to cool

any and all help will be much appreciated.

First learn where to shop :) when i built my first loop I saved over $80 just by buying in a different store.

If your using a starter kit it does not make that much difference where you buy tho.

If your going custom I would recommend Jabtech (lowest prices) but their selection aint that big. They do sell the kits but you will need extra fittings. (for your gpu).

A single d5 will go perfectly through 2 rads and 3 blocks if your cooling the cpu mosfet and southbridge.

If your cooling GPU's then it might not be enough.

note I have a "DDC" pump that goes through 3 blocks and 2 rads :)

I actually have a post about dropping my temps active and you can see very technical details in there about radiators usage etc from several forum members.

Back