• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trying to find a video editor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

so i found a program for my game recording. now i need a video editor.

specifically, i want to edit my videos by adding in

Text path

where it follows the players or objects around in teh video. like if a player gets blasted acros the map and is yelling over the mic, i want to add some text following him saying something like "OH MY GOSH WHAT". or if there is a monster that randomly appears, i want to put text where he says something like "hi :3" and then make it disappear.

check at 0:26 and you will see what im trying to do here

heres another example of what im trying to do with teh text i want to add

a friend of mine told me to try windows movie maker, but i dont see it in there.

is there any way to get this done?

Windows Movie maker will do that...I havent done it, but that is a VERY basic function and I cant imagine WMM not having it.

I googled: https://www.google.com/webhp?source....r_qf.&bvm=bv.41934586,d.dmg&biw=1351&bih=867

no. you misread what i wrote. (no worries though)

i mean TEXT PATH. i know how to make text in a video but i want to make it FOLLOW a path in teh video. i want to make it move in a certain way.

did you watch the videos that i posted? they have teh animated text moving in a certain direction.

check the NS2 video, it has text moving and following certain players and objects.

I didnt misread it all, perhaps my google results were off. I cannot find 'text path' when I google. But that is still quite simple and WMM should do it?

I didnt misread it all

WHUPS. anytext,

i talked with a couple of my other friends on steam and they say that they use vegas for that sort of thing...and vegas is 399.99 dollars...

i seriously want to make those kind of movies. but i cant find the right program or editors to do it. its like vegas is the only program i can do it in.

Adobe premiere has had the ability to overlay text/images/video with a motion path, alpha mapping, and blend effects since version 5.0. Adobe offers premiere elements and professional with 30 day trials. I personally use Premiere Pro, but elements is probably better suited to your actual needs.

I know of several other applications that can do this all of which fall into the same price bracket except for Kino which is Linux Open Source software.

Adobe premiere has had the ability to overlay text/images/video with a motion path, alpha mapping, and blend effects since version 5.0. Adobe offers premiere elements and professional with 30 day trials. I personally use Premiere Pro, but elements is probably better suited to your actual needs.

I know of several other applications that can do this all of which fall into the same price bracket except for Kino which is Linux Open Source software.

AWESOME i will give that a shot. if kino can do what i want it to do, then ill have Linux installed on one of my computers for video editing.

adobe also looks good too so i will give it a shot (pun!). if it works, then it will go on my list of things to buy :D

EDIT: there was a guide i found here but it looks like i cant really do it in adobe premiere 11...

in this one forums i found, it says here that they removed motion tracking... http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73757

i guess i made that adobe account for nothing. gonna try kino then.

Last edited:
never mind, its refering to using pictures. im trying to use motion TEXT.

or did i find the right guide?

The tutorials below should cover how to do this using premiere. They are mostly focused on using premiere pro, but most tools go by the same name in premiere elements.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yk-PTJYYQ0
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLuR9GbgaH4
http://www.steves-digicams.com/know...be-premiere-how-to-animate-a-still-image.html
http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorial:Keyframing,_motion_paths_and_more

You should be able to move a piece of raw "text" in the same way as anything else. If not all you need to do is create a simple PNG or GIF file that contains the text on a transparent background. Applications that draw "text" into some other field in general are simply rendering an image with text on a transparent BG anyways. They just do it behind the scenes for you. One thing you must remember with creative tools is the higher end you go the less automated they become.

Back