• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TT Frio vs TR Ultra 120 Extreme Rev C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seebs

Fronting as a Mod Member
EDIT
Nevermind guys.. I've found a suitable alternative.

I'll get:
- Ultra 120 Extreme Rev C
- Delta Fan
- Akasa PWM Fan splitter cable --> Powers the fan straight from the PSU and only goes to MoBo fan header with RPM and PWM wires... so MoBo is safe from overload.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Overclockers...

I've got a question for you...

I'm going over which CPU Cooler to get for my budget build.

The build will consist of:
Case: Xigmatek Utgard
CPU: Phenom 2 555BE
MoBo: MSI 870 - G45
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600

I have the GPU, HDDs, Optical and Monitor so that's all I need to buy for now.

I've read good reviews about the Thermaltake Frio all over the web. Probably the only knock on it, is that it is a tad big and will overhang the first RAM slot, but that is to be expected from these things and almost all of them do that. It won't be a problem for me since the MoBo I'm buying has 4 slots so the overhang won't keep me from using the other 2 open slots.
This thing comes with 2 120mm x 25mm fans rated at 101.6 CFM @ 2500 rpm :shock:
I think that 106 CFM is combined for both fans... If not; I guess I would just point them downwards and make a Xigmatek hovercraft :D

The one thing that I don't like is that the fans come with a RPM control POT for fan speed control --- 3 Pin connector. Don't really like this as I'd prefer PWM Fans going to the CPU Fan Header on the MoBo --- 4 pin connection.
Oh and according to the Thermaltake site those fans are rated at 6W max consumption each.

My questions:
1. What is the power rating of the CPU Fan Header on that MoBo? I checked the MSI website; downloaded the MoBo manual and there is no mention anywhere of the power rating of that header.

2. Let's say I get the TT Frio; and the CPU Fan header can handle the load.... Could I connect those two fans to it with a 4-pin to 3-pin Y adapter? And would they allow for PWM? I read somewhere that you can do PWM on 3 wire fans too, but not sure.

The TT Frio is about U$60.00 from the Egg and includes the 2 fans.
For that money I could buy a TR Ultra 120 Extreme Rev C (CrazyPC), but I'd need to get fan(s) separately. I was thinking one of these: http://www.crazypc.com/products/afc1212d-58170.html
And since it is PWM there would be no problem in controlling it from the BIOS.

3. That delta is rated at 9.6W max power draw... Is the CPU Fan Header on the MoBo just going to start crying if the fan goes up to 100% speed?

Ok guys... I await your responses.
Thanks
Sebastian

Last edited:
If can get the Noctua NH-D14 over them because it performs better than those heatsinks a quiet decibel level. 40+ Decibels, are you mad, that will drive you deaf. My Noctua is 20 decibels and thats sort of loud. Get the NH-D14 cause it's quiet and you can always run it on max. The FRIO is very loud and the TRUE needs a loud fan to really perform well. If you do want the TRUE, I would suggest a pair of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...21&cm_re=rosewill_fans-_-35-200-021-_-Product because atleast they have a fan controller to not scream so you wouldn't have to use the CPU fan header or a pair of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...50&cm_re=rosewill_fans-_-35-200-050-_-Product. I had this one for my Megahalems and they performed well. These fans are much better to use and aren't defining like the Delta.

@ BT
Noise is really not too much of an issue with me. I suffer from Tinnitus in my right ear and the noise coming from the case would actually be a welcome distraction against the constant ringing in my ears.
If you don't know what Tinnitus is just imagine having a cricket lost inside your head calling out to his buddies 24 hours a day... Or imagine a NFL referee blowing the whistle inside your head 24 hours a day and that's what I have to live with... so the noise from the fan is nothing... really.
But just to give you some piece of mind... I'm getting the TRUE and a NoiseBlocker PK-3 fan that will be connected to a fan controller to manage its RPM. I may get the Delta fan as well and test it out to see if I can build a mini hovercraft for my desk :D

Back