• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tt silent purepower 480 ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thermaltake 480 voltage test!

Well today I decided that before I bought a new power supply I would upgrade to a digital multitester and take some readings on my psu. I hit up a molex connector that had other items connected to it to get a real world reading on the voltage. I also pulled up my software readings that came with my motherboard.

This is what I am running
A64 3000+ @ 240*10
Geforce 6800 GT OC @ 400Mhz
1 Gig memory
2 hard drives
2 optical drives CD-R and a DVD-R

First off the infamous 12v line.

At idle on the software meter it was bouncing from 11.96 to 12.03 every other second or so

at idle on the multimeter it was a rock at 12.33V! Didn't move at all

Under load the 12v sotware bounced from 11.83 to 11.90 about every second
With the multimeter, once again it was a rock but it took a slight dip to 12.24v! and over the min or so I watched dipped as low as 12.23v... once.

I checked the 5v but it was pretty uneventful. It hovered around 5.27 regardless of load. on the multitester but showed to be 5.03 on the software.

Basiclly when I tweaked the pots it appears as if I pushed the 12 and 5v lines out of spec to match the sotware :-/ great.. will probably have to go in and lower them now.

Well I am no longer craving a new power supply. I think the Thermaltake 480 has gotten a bad rap and is not what is holding me back from overclocking to higher speeds.. I just have slow parts :) So by all means if you are still in the market I would say it's a good buy.

J so I decided to try this also so while attempting to break 6900 in 3dmark 01 I broke out the volt meter. On my Mobile at 1.95v my 12v rail was down 11.90 compared to the 12.05 it was at 1.625v. So I don't think I would go with Thermaltake for high vcores.

Also I believe I finally have the solution to why the Fortrons 12v amperage rating is so low. It is becuase it has dual 12v lines and that is the rating for only one of them.

I think the 550 has dual 12v rails, but the 530 only has one, but FSP rates their psus different than other companies.

Back