• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tubes turned yellow in a week

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It is the amount of DEHP/phthalate plasticizer (water soluble) that causes the rapid discoloration and inner bore buildup, if temp water is warmer from constant cpu or gpu load, it happen quicker. There are hundreds of pics just like yours all over net for 10 years.

Like others have mentioned primochill advanced LRT is DEHP/phthalate free and wont do that. But it is primarily a cosmetic issues. 10 years ago most used tygon 3603 tubing, and within weeks to months (depending on computer use/water temps) it was always cloudy. It isnt gpu blocks that usually get plasticizer buildup, it is the impingement plate and tiny pins of cpu waterblock that usually get some buildup.

As to whether the plasticizer leach causes the tubing to be white, yellow or green depends on tubing. Tygon tends to be white at first then yellows, xspc tubing green, etc.

Here is my tygon 3603 tubing in 2007 with plasticizer buildup, looks whitish at first, then slightly yellows over time (as you can see aesthetics were not "in" back then). And back then everyones tubes looked that way. And it effects cpu temps about 0.5C after about 1 year from plasticizer in cpu pins, ie cosmetic. Option 1 leave it alone, option 2 change out tubing, even if you clean it it will come back to some degree.
2monthtygon3603.jpg

Here is the same setup 8 weeks earlier, freshly built.
2007buildbefore.jpg

It is the amount of DEHP/phthalate plasticizer (water soluble) that causes the rapid discoloration and inner bore buildup, if temp water is warmer from constant cpu or gpu load, it happen quicker. There are hundreds of pics just like yours all over net for 10 years.

Like others have mentioned primochill advanced LRT is DEHP/phthalate free and wont do that. But it is primarily a cosmetic issues. 10 years ago most used tygon 3603 tubing, and within weeks to months (depending on computer use/water temps) it was always cloudy. It isnt gpu blocks that usually get plasticizer buildup, it is the impingement plate and tiny pins of cpu waterblock that usually get some buildup.

Thanks a lot for your detailed response. I don't care the least for the cosmetical appearance as the machine is "only" a cryptocurrency mining rig, but in case the build-up should start to clog up in the loop somewhere, do you know of any substance that can be used to dissolve it so that it can be flushed out? I have noticed that currently it's contained only to the tubes, as there are no signs of discoloration in the reservoir or the water.

nothing will dissolve it if it clogs the blocks you'll have to tear it down and open the blocks and clean them out. Which should be done at intervals anyway. I normally open up my cpu block every teardown for flushing and have a look. Its the easiest to open up and the least time consuming to check. If I find something in it then I'll open up the gpu blocks. Otherwise I leave my gpu blocks alone especially if I havent seen a temp change on them.

Back