• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TUBING, TUBING, TUBING

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jas

EDITS UNDERWAY AS OF 12/13/07.

The purpose of this guide is to outline some basic characteristics of commonly used tubing for PC watercooling, and some pros and cons related to each type of tubing. This is not intended to be a defacto guide to all types of tubing, or a breakdown of the actual specifications for each tubing (although links to spec sheets are provided where available), but as a general means help you choose tubing that may be best suited to your needs.

Information contained is from personal experience, other forum member's experiences, and actual specifications of tubing.

Tubing Measurement

Tubing is measured in an ID (inner diameter) and an OD (outer diamter). The two most common ID's used in the US are 1/2" and 3/8". In Europe and elsewhere, a 1/4" ID is common.

There is also a growing number of people starting to use 7/16" ID tubing. The big differences between the usual 1/2" and 3/8" are flow rate, pressure drop, and bend radius. The 7/16" tubing seeks to achieve a happy medium between the two. It used with 1/2" fittings, and is stretched over the fittings. It is supposed to provide a lower pressure drop in smaller loops, while achieving good flow, and a better bend radius.

The OD of your tubing is very important. The thicker the OD the more resistant to kinking the tubing will be. For 1/2", and 3/8" ID tubing the desired thickness is a 1/8" wall. For 7/16" tubing a 3/32" wall is recomended.

1/2" Id tubing should have an OD of 3/4"
7/16" ID tubing should have an OD of 5/8"
3/8" ID tubing should have an OD of 5/8"

Types of commonly used tubing

A Quick Note on staining/buildup.

While High grade tubing such as Tygon, or Clearflex60 tends to resist staining and buildup, a coolant mixture that features additives that can produce substrates (such as Highlighter ink, or some algaecides) may eventually collect and stain the tubing. Particulates that result from corrosion will in particular cloud the tubing. Keeping your tubes clean and clear is as much about your coolant mixtures and loop maintenance as it is about the type of tubing you use.

3/8 - 1/2 INCH ID tubing
Tygon R-3606.

Bends easily, and greatly resists kinking. Non reactive, non corrosive, tends to resist staining, resists buildup on the inner walls. Costly, 2 to 3 times more expensive than other tubing.

Staining can and does occur with use of Glycol based addatives (antifreeze and similar products). staingin happens over time and produces a "cloudy" look.

Spec sheet

Pros:
1/8” walled tubing very resistant to kinking
Clear
Non reactive
Less permeable than rubber based tubing
Crack resistant
Bends Easily

Cons:
PRICE
Stains over time

Tygon R-3400.

Tygon R-3400 is a black UV, chemical and weathering resistant tubing. Stiffer than the R-3603 tubing, but provides more chemical resistance. Slightly more expensive than R-3603. Not A very common Tubing, but has recently shown some interest among forum members.

Pros:
1/8” walled tubing extremely resistant to kinking
Non reactive
Less permeable than rubber based tubing
Exremely Crack resistant
Tends to resist staining
Inhibits algea growth.

Cons:
PRICE
Unable to see through or into tubing.

Clearflex 60

A popular alternative to Tygon. Crystal clear, non-oxidizing, resistant to buildup. Bends easily, resists kinking.

Spec sheet

Check spec sheet for chemical reactions.

Pros:
1/8” walled tubing very resistant kinking.
Crystal clear.
Non reactive to many common chemicals.
Price.
Bends Very well.

Cons:
May react with some chemicals.
Can stain.

MasterKleer

Extremely clear, albiet stiffer tubing, but still bends well, resistant to kinking except in tight bends. Resistant to buildup. (Very popular 7/16" tubing)

Spec sheet at McMaster

Pros:
Price
Extremely clear (good looking)
Non reactive to most chemicals
Decently resistant to kinking.

Cons:
A bit stiff.
May react with some chemicals.
Can stain.

PrimoFlex

A popular silicone based tubing that is UV reactive. Resists kinking well, and bends easily. It is porous, so coolant loss due to evaporation through the tubing will happen over time. Availabel in many colors, most of which are UV reactive.

NOTE: The UV glow of the tubing tends to be less than that of the glow produced by coolant additives. UV additives may actually reduce the over all “glow”

Unable to locate a Spec Sheet.

Pros:
1/8” walled tubing is extremely resistant to kinking
Very pliable and easily routed.
Price
Color choices

Cons:
Not as clear as other tubing.
Not very resistant to build up on inner walls.
May react with certain chemicals.
Somewhat porous, coolant vapor will leak through over time.

Vinyl

A common tubing that can be found at many hardware stores. It is very stiff, but resists crimping very well, although very easy to kink if bent sharply. Readily available, easy to find, and inexpensive. Usually you can find it in two varieties. A somewhat clear variety, that is fairly stiff, and a reinforced variety that is grey with a white crisscross belting. The reinforced form is extremely stiff, and does not bend particularly well, but is extremely difficult to kink. Worm drive hose clamps are essential with vinyl tubing.

There are many manufactures of Vinyl tubing.
This Spec sheet is just an example of one.

Pros:
Very cheap
Very easy to find.
The clear variety is relatively clear.

Cons:
Very stiff (especially the reinforced variety)
May harden and possibly crack over time.
May react with certain chemicals.
Not very resistant to buildup.
Kinks pretty easily

1/4 INCH ID tubing

I am currently researching for more commonly used 1/4" ID tubing.

Tygon R-3606.

See above.

Createc PUR

A polyether compound tubing manufactured in Germany. A common type tubing for European 1/4" ID systems. The clear variety is fairly clear. It is also available in UV reactive colors.

There is also a Polyester compound variant, it has a yellow tint to it.

PROS:

Small diameter tubing it easier to route, and resists kinking.
Durable
Variety of colors available
Checmical resistant

CONS:
May react to some chemicals
Availability outside Europe.

Vinyl

See above.
NOTE: 1/4" Vinyl PVC tubing kinks VERY easily.

Hose Clamps.

Do you need clamps? Some setups may not need hose clamps to keep conenctiosn from leaking under normal operating conditions. These are usually systems using undersized tubing (Such as a 7/16" ID tubing running on 1/2" ID Barbs), or on overly large, multipel pronged barbs.

However, Using hose clamps is HIGHLY recommended. There are a variety of clamps that can be used, the most common type is the Worm Drive Clamp. These are metal clamps that feature a screw along the outside, which is turned to tighten or loosen the clamp. The upside of this type of clamp is it is extremely durable, and can be tightened down to ensure a completely leak free connection, no matter how much pulling or tugging you do. Complaints about these types of clamps are usually due to their lack of aesthetics, and the diffculty in tightening them in hard to reach spots.

Another common type of clamp are either plastic or metal "Snap" clamps. These are tightened by pinching the tops together so that the two sides "lock". These are generally not as durable (especially the plastic ones) as worm drive clamps, and do not provide the same level of leak protection a worm drive clamp can, they are however easier on the eyes, and generally thought to be easier to work with.

Pinch clamps can also be used, but I haven't seen many instances where people have used them. These are metal clamps (usually) that act like a spring. Pinching the top results in the clamps opening up so it can be moved into position, then the clamp is allowed to rest freely on the tube as its will naturally impart pressure on the tubing. These generally do not seal nearly as well as "Snap" clamps, or worm drive clamps, but are extremely easy to work with.

The "Ghetto" hose clamp. More often than not the "Ghetto" alternative to hose clamps is the Zip tie. They can provide great leak protection if tightened far enough, are easy on the eyes, and most importantly cheap. However removal can be issue, generally requiring the tubing be cut as well as the zip tie.

Bending those tubes.

The whole reason we use flexible tubing is so we can bend the tubbing into curves to fit everything together. Ideally we want the shortest distance possible between components, along with the most flow possible. Tubing that bends easier, yet remains resistant to to kinking will provide the cleanest bends, and won't collapse on itself as it bends.

The tighter your bends are going to be, the more flexible you will want you tubing (but still maintain the ability to not kink or collapse). Keep in mind, overly radical bends on too stiff of tubing may partially collapse the tubing and reduce flow.

Working with Tight bends, or stretching the tubing over oversized barbs/pipes

Sometimes, no matter how soft and flexible the tubing is, it just wont fit over the barbs, or bend as sharp as you would like. The solution to this is generally to heat the tubing up. This can generally be accomplished by soaking the tubing in VERY hot water, or using a heat source such as a blow dryer.

Soaking the tubing is the method with the least amount of potential to harm the tubing. Although it may harm you when you handle it. Wearing gloves of some kind, or even an oven mitt may be desirable when working with tubing in this manner especially if boiling water is used.

If the entire length of tubing is soaked it should become much more pliable (material dependant) and will be easier to bend and or stretch. Once the tubing cools down it will hold its new shape. Soaking an entire piece is a great way to force really tight bends.

Soaking the ends in boiling water can greatly aid in slipping the tubing over the ends of oversized barbs, or pipes on a heater core or radiator.

The hairdryer/heat source method is good for localized work, although the potential to burn the tubing exists. If you are using this method be careful to keep the heat source far enough away as to not over heat the tubing, and do not apply the heat for too long, or else the tubing may become damaged.

--------------------------------------------
Thanks to Sneaky for providing most of the following:

Durometer Ratings of popular Tubing: (lower durometer = softer/more flexible)

Tygon Ultra-Soft R-1000 Durometer: 40A
Primoflex/Silicone Durometer: 50A
Tygon Chemical R-3603 Durometer: 55A
Chemical PVC/Clearflex60 Durometer: 60A
Tygon R-3400 Durometer 64A
General PVC/Masterkleer Durometer: 67A
Vinyl Durometer: 70A
Braid-Reinforced Vinyl Durometer: 73A

--------------------------------------------

An over view of common synthetic tubing at McMaster

Last edited:
Tygon formula R-1000 is even softer & stickier than the R-3603 - the R-1000 is probably the softest/most bendable & stickiest tubing that is suitable for water cooling purposes.... but its damn expensive, and no bends in WCing are that tight to warrant using R-1000 AFAIK

Clearflex60 is also known as Chemical PVC Tubing, and masterkleer is another type of tubing that some people use - its general purpose PVC, rather than chemical PVC (CF60), and is slightly less flexible

Durometer Ratings of popular Tubing: (lower durometer = softer/more flexible)

Tygon Ultra-Soft R-1000 Durometer: 40A
Primoflex/Silicone Durometer: 50A
Tygon Chemical R-3603 Durometer: 55A
Chemical PVC/Clearflex60 Durometer: 60A
General PVC/Masterkleer Durometer: 67A
Vinyl Durometer: 70A
Braid-Reinforced Vinyl Durometer: 73A

Jas said:
For 1/2" ID and 3/8" ID tubing the desired thickness is a 1/8" wall.

1/2" Id tubing should have an OD of 3/4"
3/8" ID tubing should have an OD of 5/8"

.....aint that 1/4" of an inch thick, not 1/8" :)

but nice work indeed :)

the wall is 1/8 of an inch thick, which reults in ading 1/4" to the ID for the OD measurement, the wall is the inside to the oustide.

i have not had experience with any other tubing, but my tygon has gotten stained and clouded fairly quickly. just so you know, its not necessarily the holy grail.

I have also heard of buildup/staining, usually from corosion on Tygon. It should be the most buildup resistant tubing out there.

I have not had any staining or buildup problems with Tygon using, Water Wetter, Zerex, UV addatives (specifically DYE LITE), and all copper components.

I have seen "staining" (buildup actually) from in clearflex and Primoflex. hard to tell if it was from the UV dye or the addatives though (possibly both).

Jas-

I think its a well written guide and spells things out quite nicely but I would like to point something out....

The 7/16" tubing that has become most popular is the 3/32" wall thickness type with an OD of 5/8" Its the one that Cathar on Procooling.com originally pointed out as a suggested alternative. The 3/32 still resists kinking in all but the tightest bends yet it doesnt require the force to bend that 1/8" wall thickness tubing has. It has the added benefit that its easy to find Coolsleeves for if needed.

The mcmaster.com part number for the tubing I am talking about is:
5233K44
7/16" ID - 5/8" OD - 3/32" WT General Purpose Clear PVC Tubing

This is the third rig I have used it on and I have to say I am very happy with it. I have much less staining/clouding of the tubes than with Clearflex and at 1/5 the price of the Tygon its simply hard to beat ;)

(First post for me!)
How does tube length affect performance? I haven't cut the tubing in my rig to length, and am curious to know if it's best to make sure there's as little tubing as possible.

speed bump said:
With longer lengths of tubing you use more pump power to pump fluid however unless your tubing is just ridculously long you shouldn't notice much of a difference.

That's good to know, thanks! But, if you forgive my inexperience :confused: ... what would you consider "too long"? I had quite a bit of tubing when i started, and simply made them all the same length, then used all of it. They're all longer than they could be, and since this is my first exposure to WC'ing, I haven't the faintest clue of the pros and cons here.
LOL, to be honest, there's enough tubing to make it very...tricky to close the side of my case up. I'm guessing it'd be good to shorten them, eh?

Make the lengths the shortest you can without kinking the tubing or stretching it to make it go from component to component. It will look better and might perform better also.

SB,
Thanks a mill! I actually saw a sizable improvement in temps when i shortened the tubing as your advice! Now, I'm getting the temps I was expecting out of my setup. Thanks again!!

Tygon R-3606: The Rolls Royce of tubing. Bends easily, and greatly resists kinking. Non reactive, non corrosive, tends to resist staining, and greatly resists any buildup on the inner walls.

Saint-Gobain (makers of Tygon) have stated that R36xx series tubing should NOT be used for our purposes due to the chemical makeup of the coolant additives most people use. Also, the plasticizer has a tendency to leech out, and where it leeches out from, the tube walls then absorb the coolant, resulting in clouded tubing or a film left behind.

Saint-Gobain have stated that...

R-3603 takes on a cloudy appearance because it slower absorbs water; and with the presence of glycols this condition is probably made worse. Richard is correct in that a Tygon 2000 maybe a better alternative if the customer has this complaint without getting into a custom product.... *snip* ....I believe the 2000 series tubings (2075, 2275) would be a good choice

If your worried about the plastisizers get tygon silver or tygon beverage where the tubes were made for transporting drinking water that should not be contaminated with plastisizers.

Howcome tygon silver was not mentiond in the report? It inhibits the growth of algae, and bacteria that might otherwise grow and clog up the storm jet impingemnt water blocks etc. That and you will never need to use additives and you will never have to clean your tubes ever again...

I have been using them for quite some time now....

If your worried about the plastisizers get tygon silver or tygon beverage where the tubes were made for transporting drinking water that should not be contaminated with plastisizers.

Howcome tygon silver was not mentiond in the report? It inhibits the growth of algae, and bacteria that might otherwise grow and clog up the storm jet impingemnt water blocks etc. That and you will never need to use additives and you will never have to clean your tubes ever again...

I have been using them for quite some time now....
It probably isn't in there because....the report was written in early 2005? :eh?:

:D

Back