• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turbo clock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dpg3456

Hello all,

I have a 9590 and a CHVFZ. All the settings are set to auto expect for llc, and cpu and pcie spectrums and a couple others. However, i set the turbo clock manually to 5.0 and it normally runs at 4.7. Under cinebench, the clock wont go to 5.0. i am out of ideas, any suggestions?

Edit: After resetting the bios, testing, setting the llc, spread spectrum, and others i still cant get it to turbo. Biggest increased was 20mhz which isnt worth it. Do i need to just clock it to 5 and leave it there? i would prefer not to do that since i leave it running for a while.

Last edited:
It could be that once you exceed stock turbo frequency you lose turbo function altogether. At least that's the way it seems to work on Intel CPUs. What kind of cooling are you using. Are you getting thermal throttling?

The issue is that the stock speed is 4.7 with 5.0 boost, but it wont boost to 5.0. Its not temp throttle, i have h115 with some delta fans that are 120x35 and are around 100 cfm and 20 h20. i have 7 of then, two on rad, two intake, one on rear, and two on side panel. Temps dont go over 55. I also replaced the thermal paste with arctic mx-4

Last edited:
I gave up trying to get the turbo to initiate. But i manually clocked it to 5.0 while running prime95, it was stable 7mins at 60c then one core crashed. I restarted the test and the computer froze. after that, the temp got to hot and decided to stop. I clocked it back down to 4.7. while at 5.0 it hit 1.488-1.5v.

FX-9590 Turbo mode only works in certain conditions. Only half of the cores will boost to 5ghz, typically it's only a single core while running PiMod for an example.

At 60c you are going to loose stability as you've mentioned that one of the cores crashed.

You are going to need exceptional cooling to properly run this processor. There is absolutely no way around it. The FX-9590 does not respond well to v-droop at all. To prevent v-droop, you set LLC to Ultra high and it will pin whatever manual voltage you select. However this praticular processor comes with a very high P-state request voltage of around 1.5250v and may take all this much to keep all 8 cores constantly stable past 4.5ghz manually clocked. It becomes even more unstable past the 4.7ghz frequency with less than 1.5250v, you may find yourself testing and testing while bumping cpu core voltage along the way.

I did this little write up. You can give it a read if you like. It may help understand the beast you're trying to use. Remember my system is an example and may act slightly different than yours, but will be for the most part similar.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/758169-Formula-z-and-FX-9590-Hangs-and-Freezing

No worries. I understand, I believe it will be stable enough for me to game with. i have had no problems running at 4.7 at 1.488v, which is weird that it didnt go up when i clocked it to 5.0. Its set to auto and the llc is set to ultra high. Since it set to auto, it should provide more power to the cpu as needed correct?
As long as it can run bf4 and such at 5.0 im happy. if not then ill keep it at 4.7 and wait for ryzen to come out. But at 5.0 i did notice a 25 point boost in cinebench r.15

It's a tough processor to handle. I got mine up to 5.7ghz on sub ambient cooling for a max clock. True stable at 5.2ghz and bench up to 5.6ghz. The water Delta was at about 50F tap to drain liquid cooling fyi. 853cb at 5.4ghz.

Yeah i know it is, found that out after i bought it. If i could do it again, id go for an i5 but oh well. It hovers around 700cb at 4.7 and 720ish at 5.0.

If i can run prime95 for 7 mins, its stable enough for bf4 right?

That chip will heat soak your water loop even at stock. I say go out and do some gaming and see how long you can go for.

One suggestion is you could push pull air flow on the radiator (fans on both sides blowing the same direction) and a spot fan on the VRM section of the motheboard just to the left of the cpu.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm done spending money on this comp, spent to much for the performance of it. Only problem with the push pull would be i dont have any more fans to pair with delta fans. other fans i have are 120x25, wouldnt that be counter-productive?

I cant even run bf4 at ultra over 45fps. at high its at 60-70fps. rather wait and buy a computer that can perform better.

I hear ya. Soon new PC time. It's coming. AMD will run out of processors at all stores. It's gonna be a good one :D

Yeah just have to save up for the best of the best this time. Hoping that AMD can compete, if they can I'm all in.

Oh it's going to be a good chip. 40% IPC over what you have now and it will probably overclock. Night and Day difference.

Back