• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turning an HTPC into a secondary gaming rig- Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

I have a G3258 OC'd to 4.4 as my HTPC. I also have a GTX 580 laying around not doing anything. I was thinking of putting it in my HTPC for some arm chair gaming.

My main question is- how do I get my origin, uplay, and steam accounts to work on BOTH my main gaming PC and my HTPC at the same time? I'd rather not stream or anything like that I want the actual same game installed on both computers. Do I have a right to do that with Steam/origin/Uplay or am I only allowed to install a given title on one system at a time?

Advice on getting this all to work would be appreciated.

Also, given the high power draw of the 580, do you guys feel it would be too much of a burden on an admittedly LOW end EVGA 500B? Or would it be ok? I don't plan to overvolt the 580.

You can't log in to same thing twice at the same time. Steam has a "family share" thing, I'll let you Google that haha.

580s are pigs but 500 with a g3258 should be a-ok. You won't get direct x. 12 support with the 580 though.

I use family share with my best friend... I get nothing out of it all the games are mine. Are you saying I would have to make a second steam account and essentially enable family sharing with myself?

You can login to as many locates as you want with those accounts, but can only be logged it one at a time. So you will have to logout from your main computer to use the htpc/etc.

Ok so I can log out of steam on my main pc, log into steam on my HTPC, and install all my games on my HTPC as well? I'm allowed to have the installs on 2 seperate machines, under the same account, provided I am not logged into the account from both machines simultaneously? Is that how it works?

THanks.

Ok so I can log out of steam on my main pc, log into steam on my HTPC, and install all my games on my HTPC as well? I'm allowed to have the installs on 2 seperate machines, under the same account, provided I am not logged into the account from both machines simultaneously? Is that how it works?

THanks.

Oh I thought you meant at the same time haha. Yes yiu can install as many times and locations as you want.

Back