• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

turns on and off constantly after heat sink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

box bundy

Registered
Hi all,
I re-applied the thermal paste to my chips and afterwards the computer just continues to turn on and off constantly. I thoroughly cleaned the old goo but did put a reasonably thick spread back on thinking that it'll squish out to the correct thickness.
anyone come across this? what are the guru's thoughts?

I have seen it sometimes you can have a small or tiny amount of paste down the side of the CPU where the contacts are. This can cause a short circuit just needs a real good clean with a bit of Alcohol. And while your cleaning you could check the pins in the CPU socket as well. AJ. ;)

But on and off points to a short somewhere in that area! :attn:

I have seen it sometimes you can have a small or tiny amount of paste down the side of the CPU where the contacts are. This can cause a short circuit
Although most Thermal pastes shouldnt be conductive you will avoid what ajay just pointed out.

And by reading "reasonably thick spread" I would assume you used way too much.
Here's a picture from my last application, this should be sufficient. Your heatsink will spread it out nicely due to the pressure while mounting.
tim.jpg

that's a thin spread there compared to what I've done.
yep, I'm guessing I've put too much on. I'm shocked that this stuff may be conductive.
I'm a long way from home at the moment so I'll try again when I get back and let you all know the results. there would definitely be some touching - I didn't think it would matter!
what's the best paste to use for this? I'll buy some in
and thanks both of you

Back