• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two more WU's and I'm in the Top 100!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
oh, nevermind! got it. just change the cache value from 1 to whatever i'd like, rite?! but tks for ur idea!!;)

however, i wonder how come the WU time varies quite a bit?? on my PIII 1.0G machine, idling, nothing running, using CLC + SETI Driver + SETISpy. using it shows like high-1xxMFlop/sec, but sometimes, like this morning, it shows the machine is "only" doing 70-60MFlop/sec!! i'm sure nobody used the computer over nite, it's just sitting idle all nite!! how come??? any idea???:confused:

will it b/c the memory allocation stuffs?? but there's really nothing running, even at the background. will a re-boot help?? btw, i did defrag the hard drive. or b/c of the "av #"?? those 0.4xx number under SETISpy. what's going on??

LandShark said:
oh, nevermind! got it. just change the cache value from 1 to whatever i'd like, rite?! but tks for ur idea!!;)

however, i wonder how come the WU time varies quite a bit?? on my PIII 1.0G machine, idling, nothing running, using CLC + SETI Driver + SETISpy. using it shows like high-1xxMFlop/sec, but sometimes, like this morning, it shows the machine is "only" doing 70-60MFlop/sec!! i'm sure nobody used the computer over nite, it's just sitting idle all nite!! how come??? any idea???:confused:

will it b/c the memory allocation stuffs?? but there's really nothing running, even at the background. will a re-boot help?? btw, i did defrag the hard drive. or b/c of the "av #"?? those 0.4xx number under SETISpy. what's going on??

Hey,

MFlops/sec doesn't really mean that much...or as much as you think it does. It basically is useless when it comes to SETI. Basically it is a indictor on how hard that area is in the work unit. My computer ranges from 250Megaflops/sec to 70Megaflops/sec. But my % per hour remains the same. Reboots can help improve SETI times if your computer has not been rebooted for a long time. When I went on vacation for two weeks I left seti running. When I got back the WU's were taking an hour longer then normal. A quick reboot got the computer back on track. So I say a Reboot can't hurt. I very rarely do it though. This computer is really stable, I don't see why you Windows 2000 users knock windows 95/98 both my systems have been running stable for 3 weeks now. I also had them stable for well over 2 months no problems or reboots.

however, i wonder how come the WU time varies quite a bit?? on my PIII 1.0G machine, idling, nothing running, using CLC + SETI Driver + SETISpy. using it shows like high-1xxMFlop/sec, but sometimes, like this morning, it shows the machine is "only" doing 70-60MFlop/sec!! i'm sure nobody used the computer over nite, it's just sitting idle all nite!! how come??? any idea???

Yes... I would look at power managament features... make sure they are "dissbled" in BIOS and "always on" in Windoze... Turn off any screen savers (regradless of whether the screen is off or not)...

Good luck!!!

i did turn off any power management both in BIOS and Window. the only isn't set always on if the monitor which i set to turn off after 15mins of un-use.

i've heard u guys saying average time xxhr at av.=0.4xx. what's that?? will the WU's av. affect the time?? i've seen they ranging from 0.04 to 0.6x. which will give u less work out, less time to finish? if i saw a hard WU, could i delete it manually and get a new one?? if so, which file should i look for?

btw, that SETIDriver caching feature really helps!! now i can have all of my machine running STI 24/7 instead of only one of them running 24/7, and the rest doing only 2 per day.

tks again for u guys' help!!!

keep on crunching and aiming for the top 100 spot.

Morpheus said:
& I'll keep a spot warm for you in the top 25.... Daman...

:D

Thanks, I oughta be up there in a couple of months...

(it sure does take a lot longer to head up the ranks once you hit the top 50 or so...)

:)

LandShark said:
i did turn off any power management both in BIOS and Window. the only isn't set always on if the monitor which i set to turn off after 15mins of un-use.

This is how I run my setup. Works just fine. :)

i've heard u guys saying average time xxhr at av.=0.4xx. what's that?? will the WU's av. affect the time?? i've seen they ranging from 0.04 to 0.6x. which will give u less work out, less time to finish? if i saw a hard WU, could i delete it manually and get a new one?? if so, which file should i look for?

The lower ARs are going to be pains...they typically have a smaller size, but that's just so that they keep the time similar.

Proze has a program that will look through all of your WU's and tell you what the ARs are for all of them...there's a link to it somewhere in the SETI board, and I suppose it's also on Shadow ÒÓ's ftp server of overclocking goodies (link in his sig). If you wanted to get rid of it, you would just delete the entire folder of the number that it is.

btw, that SETIDriver caching feature really helps!! now i can have all of my machine running STI 24/7 instead of only one of them running 24/7, and the rest doing only 2 per day.

tks again for u guys' help!!!

keep on crunching and aiming for the top 100 spot.

Glad to hear you're getting more work done!

oh, now i see why sometimes my main machine could finish a WU in just under 5hr, sometimes it takes 5 1/2hr, and the reason i brought up all this questions is b/c i saw a WU's of almost 8hrs!! that's the one w/ an AR of 0.04! now i know why! tks again for u all!!!;)

and for the spirit of science, i don't think i should delete any "tough" WU just b/c to rank up faster.

and w/in next week, i should finish up upgrading my slowest machine. and w/ all 3 of them running 24/7, hopfully i could dip into 100's w/in the next couple of weeks. heheee.....:D

LandShark said:
and for the spirit of science, i don't think i should delete any "tough" WU just b/c to rank up faster.

Glad to here that, let me tell you. I almost mentioned it...then thought better of it. Didn't want to seem discouraging or anything. :)

Back