• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two part question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anonymous51

Registered
Hey everyone I have a two part question?

1. I am wondering what antivirus do you guys use personally on windows 10 has to be 100% free
zero ads if avoidable

2. Do you guys use cleaner or something else?

I look forward to your replies thanks Gabe.

Feel free to pm if that would be better.

If you keep good browsing habits antivirus becomes sort of redundant, personally I use the free version of MalwareBytes and CCleaner. Chrome doesn't seem to have a cap on how much space the cache can occupy so it's good to do a good clean once a week (i have had weeks that it was over 12gb).

If you keep good browsing habits antivirus becomes sort of redundant, personally I use the free version of MalwareBytes and CCleaner. Chrome doesn't seem to have a cap on how much space the cache can occupy so it's good to do a good clean once a week (i have had weeks that it was over 12gb).

I usually throw Avast on people's machines. It is pretty good as far as free AV goes.

I used to use Avast and put it on all my customer machines but so many of them fell for the Premium upgrade bait it constantly threw at them that I abandoned it in favor of Windows Defender which is built into Windows 10. Independent lab testing in the past six months has rated Defender to be essentially as good as any of the commercial products available. Best part is it's free and doesn't nag with baits to upgrade.

I also use Malwarebytes free edition as a second opinion and run it now and then. Malwarebytes free is not a real time scanner so if you want it to check for infections you have to manually launch and scan with it. But be careful with it in that it will install by default as the 15 day Premium trial version. You need to decline that option and tell it to revert to the free version by going into "Settings" and clicking on the Account tab. It may also automatically upgrade you to Premium whenever it installs a newer version. If you want Windows Defender to be your first line of defense (which is what I'm recommending) you don't want to run the Premium version of Malwarebytes because it will take over from Windows Defender.

If you use the Chrome browser I would certainly recommend installing the "Windows Defender Browser protection for Chrome" extension to protect as you surf the net. Ad Block plus or something similar is also great for cutting down on advertisements as you surf. Ad Block Plus allows you to exempt web pages that will not display without the ads.

I also use Ccleaner and it's a great product for tidying up your computer and helping it run efficiently. However, be careful when you install it. It will automatically install Avast as well during the install process unless you uncheck the box with the Avast option. And when Ccleaner popups tell you there is a new version available, don't choose "Yes." Instead, choose "No thanks" and that will take you to the website where you can download and continue to use the latest free version. If you click on "Yes" it will upgrade to the temporary Trial version which only is good for 30 days or something and then you have to pay.

As others have said, the best malware protection is a savvy internet user. There is no anti malware product out there that adequately protects against carelessness/ignorance when using the internet.

Last edited:
I use Malwarebytes for the occasional item that Windows Defender hasn't been updated for yet but that's a rare occurrence anymore. CCleaner is a useful tool for a lot of stuff.

Besides its usefulness, Windows Defender doesn't have compatibility issues, it's pretty lightweight on any modern W10 capable platform, and it is as hands free as any AV I've ever seen.

I generally run only ClamWin free. It does not scan anything unless you tell it to. I use BleachBit to clean temp files.

As for the Chrome browser, there's talk it may change it's api's manifest so that ONLY Adblock Plus's filters will work and it will be limited to 30,000 entries which in and of itself is a joke. This will break all other adblockers such as umatrix and ublock origin completely. It is not yet implemented as far as I know but is something to think about when choosing a browser. For the best security, DO NOT rely upon someone else giving it to you on a platter. I do NOT recommend adblock plus on any machine for any reason. Ublock origin (for mobile & desktop) simply downloads lists and uses the files locally as a browser extension. This puts the control in your hands and not in google's, MS's, Mcaffee's, norton's, symantec's, whoever. Any so-called AV software that is constantly scanning your files is in and of itself a security risk when it's always connected to a remote server (anything made by comodo is a prime example of who NOT to trust). Clamwin does not do this as it acts just like ublock origin does. It downs the latest lists and only connects to check for any newer security updates. In fact that is all it does automatically is update the virus list.
A good example of why corporations like google are actually "bad for business" is facebook's new "bitcoin" scheme. Facebook wants to offer it's own bitcoin to the entire planet. Bitcoin was created for the sole purpose of bypassing the corrupt banking system that the US controls and uses to intimidate and coerce entire countries with. Facebook's fakeass "bitcoin" is simply the same banking system sold as a secure cryptocoin, this so that they can continue to stay in control of everything people do monetarily.
In essence, one must do everything one can without involving the retards (middlemen/third parties) who think they should be the sole supplier, sole source, of whatever it is you think you need.
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/01/22/chrome-extension-manifest-v3-could-end-ublock-origin-for-chrome/

Last edited:
I use Malwarebytes for the occasional item that Windows Defender hasn't been updated for yet but that's a rare occurrence anymore. CCleaner is a useful tool for a lot of stuff.

Besides its usefulness, Windows Defender doesn't have compatibility issues, it's pretty lightweight on any modern W10 capable platform, and it is as hands free as any AV I've ever seen.
Thanks for your help.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I generally run only ClamWin free. It does not scan anything unless you tell it to. I use BleachBit to clean temp files.

As for the Chrome browser, there's talk it may change it's api's manifest so that ONLY Adblock Plus's filters will work and it will be limited to 30,000 entries which in and of itself is a joke. This will break all other adblockers such as umatrix and ublock origin completely. It is not yet implemented as far as I know but is something to think about when choosing a browser. For the best security, DO NOT rely upon someone else giving it to you on a platter. I do NOT recommend adblock plus on any machine for any reason. Ublock origin (for mobile & desktop) simply downloads lists and uses the files locally as a browser extension. This puts the control in your hands and not in google's, MS's, Mcaffee's, norton's, symantec's, whoever. Any so-called AV software that is constantly scanning your files is in and of itself a security risk when it's always connected to a remote server (anything made by comodo is a prime example of who NOT to trust). Clamwin does not do this as it acts just like ublock origin does. It downs the latest lists and only connects to check for any newer security updates. In fact that is all it does automatically is update the virus list.
A good example of why corporations like google are actually "bad for business" is facebook's new "bitcoin" scheme. Facebook wants to offer it's own bitcoin to the entire planet. Bitcoin was created for the sole purpose of bypassing the corrupt banking system that the US controls and uses to intimidate and coerce entire countries with. Facebook's fakeass "bitcoin" is simply the same banking system sold as a secure cryptocoin, this so that they can continue to stay in control of everything people do monetarily.
In essence, one must do everything one can without involving the retards (middlemen/third parties) who think they should be the sole supplier, sole source, of whatever it is you think you need.
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/01/22/chrome-extension-manifest-v3-could-end-ublock-origin-for-chrome/
Thanks for your help.

GabeG25, I might suggest you join the Wilders Security forums if you really want to delve into internet security in an informed, deeper way. It's a focused, premier community used heavily by professionals who deal with security issues every day.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/

the corrupt banking system that the US controls and uses to intimidate and coerce entire countries with.
Probably better to just carpet bomb those countries then. Nothing works better than that to intimidate and coerce.
Then bitcoin will be just as useless as it is now.

Back