• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two X99 Questions for my PC Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolfen2

I am in the process of building a new PC for myself and there are some things that I am uncertain about, mainly which CPU (5820K vs 5930K) and which motherboard (MSI X99A Mpower vs MSI X99A SLI Plus) should I use given what I plan to do with my system.

GOALS OF MY SYSTEM
1. I plan to overclock the CPU to 4,5Ghz and at some point in the future, the GPU and maybe the RAM as well.
2. I want it to be a super fast for various multi-tasking requirements.
3. In the future I plan to run a 2-way SLI setup along with a fully functional M2 PCIe x4 (for my OS)
4. I plan to use the PC for videography (making, editing and uploading videos), photography, gaming, streaming and a few other similar operations.

The currently setup that I am planning to build is the following:
PHANTEKS Enthoo Primo
MSI X99A Mpower OR MSI X99A SLI Plus
Intel Core i7 5930K OR 5820K
G.Skill RipJaws 4 black DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-2800
Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6 GB
Samsung SSD SM951 256GB, M.2 - PCIe
Samsung SSD 850 Evo 500GB, SATA (possible raid 1 in the future)
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000W
MS Windows 7 Pro 64 bit (EN)
(Custom water-cooling will be used and will be upgraded in the future for a themed build.)

The 2 questions that I really can’t figure out are:

1. Is it really worth going for the 5930K processor and paying an extra 200€ for the extra 12 PCIe lanes and the extra 0,2 GhZ for my system given what I plan to do & given the motherboards that I want to use with it? Or am I better off saving 200€ and getting the 5820K instead?

2. Which motherboard is really better for what I want to do? Does it really make any difference between the MSI X99A Mpower and MSI X99A SLI Plus? The only difference that I have found is that the Mpower has a 12 voltage regulator and the SLI Plus has 8 and is slightly cheaper.

Any help & Feedback is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

You'll see a couple percent better GPU performance with the 5930K, but it'd only be noticeable in benchmarks.

Either motherboard will be perfectly fine for your usage.
Also check out the ASRock X99 Extreme6, ASRock X99 OC Formula, and Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4P. They're solid boards also.

Back