• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Types of cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i think we missed the motherboard/videocard submerged in nonconductive fluid in a freezer for types of cooling :)

but then again nobody would ever do that once they realized theyy had to use a high quality full sized freezer

but i liked the attempt to list all common options for cooling, could you keep on top of it with everyones accomplished cooling projects?

Last edited:
please delete above post. his account was saved on my shared computer and my brother got on it. he is an obscene kid. should be taught a lesson.

VapoChill Micro Question

I'm thinking about buying the CPU cooler below. Is this all I need or do Ii need a compressor, external plumbing, etc...?

http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-blc-212.html

Thanks in Advance

EDIT!!.. Searched the forum and found this was already discussed. I'm going to order one ASAP.. Looks great

Last edited:
I must be nuts.. Replying to my own post

So here I am, on new years eve with 25 kids downstairs, but I have their keys, ha, ha...

I made a decision yesterday to abandon my attempts on increasing performance of my P4C800ed 3.0G. I can't get near it with my kid and his online gaming and 3.76g with a 248fsb on air and the x850pe is good enough, at least for him..Spent the better part of the day trying to justify sticking with Intel. As an embedded designer, I've lived Intel since my 20s and it would really hurt to go with AMD, sorta like a going to Ford after running Big Block Chevy motors. I'll spend the next 3 months gathering equipment from on-line, shows, etc buying the MB, CPU and memory and getting the rest from my crap pile in the basement, and run it stock to get the feel for it, how far to push it on air.

The problem I have is AMD or Intel.? My needs are not to have the fast system but to have a radical system.(and still have the fastest), so rather than buy up to performance level 10, I'd have more satisfaction buying a level 8 and running it to 12. AMD ****es all over Intel in the reviews, but something still thrills me to see 5+ Ghz. A8N32-SLI-D with a FX-53 runs about a grand and the only thing Intel based is over a grand just for the CPU. Don't have days on end to spend reading posts on which overclocks better, got the bug now....gotta buy now...Probably would be best to do more research, I'm sure.

I post this here because soon cooling will be a critical factor in reaching the ultimate speed and hope some hard core members can throw their opinions at me. Not which actual parts to buy, but which technology they like and why.

Have a Happy New Year !!

At school I work with a Dual Ion Bean Sputtering system that uses a cyro-pump. The cryo-pump is basically an ultra-high vacuum pump and is cooled by a liquid helium system. The cryo-pump normally sits around 8-10 kelvin, and gets to about 14 k when in use. The two main problems are extreme noise (if I had to guess I would say 80 db) and the simple fact that I don’t know how a computer would fair at these temps, remember liquid Ni is about 60 k warmer.

Honestly though, is there any good reason to cool past freezing, if even that far?
Dan

Thanks a lot for the explanation, gave me a good taste for my next computer project. I’ve been using the active air for quite some time now, and I am interested in a type of water cooling.

Nice guide. I will refer to this for n00bs that I try to recruit to OCF. :)

*edit*
I am indeed a n00b myself. I didn't know that there were so many diff types of watercooling.

just read your sticky on cooling types, very good! i am now educated.

a few months ago i was surfing and found a website that had small air conditioners or refrid. units that mounted inside or on the case to blow cold air through the case, had good reviews and now i can't find it since my wd caviar crapped out on me and i lost the bookmark.
do you know anything about them or know where i can find resources?

Back