• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ubuntu 9.10 - wow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Manually setting it is fine for geeks with WEP or WPA, but setting it up on enterprise networks is a major PITA :mad:

Myself I don't use them Wireless modes, give me a nice wired connection any ol day.. I am behind a hardware firewall and a proxy (Squid.) I just like to use static IP's and have control over my network.

Plus how many times does one change IP's in an intranet? Even on medium sized networks running 1000 machines. Actually setting up IP blocks for certain divisions would be a good thing. Plus auditing a particular machine would be a breeze. If it is explicitly set to one IP.
For my use in the home. It makes it much easier to route traffic and set up tables. For each machine IP. My machine using Linux. Does not need filtering like my wife's Windows box needs. Nor the server.. If I only change out the IP like.. Never. Why fire off a module that would waste CPU time. Slow up the boot and use RAM. Set it to be static and not one issue.

One last input... Even if I did use wireless. Which I sometimes do use.. My spare XP box has a wireless card in it, and I sometimes use that. Which I am not against actually. Would it not be safer if you set specific IP's and enhance security by disallowing random/automatic DHCP addressing from the access point?

I know a The Cleveland Water network is all static IP's. My brother in law has to set the IP he is assigned. When he is at specific plants. So he can connect the laptop he is issued, for that specific plant location. If my brother is close. There is something like 25,000 machines on that network.. Which seems to be a guess, but not far off probably. The agency is rather large and serves a huge area. I could call the IT there. I talked to one SysOp once. Asking about a script review for my brother in law to use on his issued laptop( runs XP like most of the city machines.) So it was easier for him to change out IP's as he went plant to plant and do his jorb. :D Actually not only was it ok'ed/ I was asked if they could use it for the personnel who migrate around the network.

The super cool thing about Linux. We can discuss what manager and ways to do it, that is best or handy. It's one of the perks us Linux users have. We are not limited like MS users in this sense.

Last edited:
I can't wait for 9.10 (or the next mint, caue i think i'll switch) because my current install has now crapped out. Upon boot it fails a disk test and puts up the recovery console that I have to ctrl-d to resume boot. (due to me playing with HDDs and partitions), and i screwed my SAMBA by installing GADMIN-SAMBA (which always modifies my samba config, and I don't have the time to figure out which part it changed and broke my samba access). So I'm going to simplify life by a clean install instead of actually trying to fix this.

+1 for wired. A little more secure even though I have WPK2 for my wireless, my ssid turned off, and MAC address filtering on it (whitelist).

+1 for Ubuntu still, as i've been on it as main OS since 6.04 and haven't been dissapointed more than twice with the releases.

hoping 9.10 fixed the nvidia server/settings stuff so i don't have to pull up the cli and run nvidia-xconfig and nvidia-settings everytime i want to change my resolution or fiddle with my dual monitor setup.

Thanks to Ubuntu 9.10! Awesome turnout
I enjoy it so much

I love the new Ubuntu and plan on never returning to windows, however... I am a big time gamer and Ubuntu just isn't the greatest for that! :( If only games would start to support linux more, life would be so much better.

Keep it up Ubuntu team!

Back