• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UD7 w/ 955 overclocking help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madbrayniak

Registered
hey guys, just joined the thread about 15 minutes ago.

Anyways, i did my first true build here last week and i started with the Crosshair V but i had the dreaded DRAM light the lit up and didnt know that was a problem until after i got the board. Therefore, i returned it and got the UD7 and everything worked perfectly.

However, now i have also overclocked my 955 through the BIOS to 4Ghz by increasing the multiplier to 20 and increasing the voltage to 1.55....and bare with me I am going by memory and i also believe that i increased the bus a small amount.

However, I do not know how to OC the northbridge, RAM, and or my videocard which is a PNY Nvidia GTX 560 Ti. Can anyone make any suggestions about doing this? I am really trying to squeeze as much out of it as i can until the zambezi comes out.

and if anyone is wondering it is running very stable at that overclock. I ran Prime95 for 18 hours and the intelburn test multiple times on maximum without any issues. I bet i could increase the OC a small amount more to maybe 4.2 but I am happy with it for now at how well it is running.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Does your chip need 1.55 to reach 4000 or did you just set it that high? If it doesn't need 1.55, there's no reason to run it that high.
What were your temps?
At 4000 your NB should be around 2600-2800 so set the NB multi to 13x-14x and bump the voltage slightly. If you want to OC the ram, you can put the CPU multi back down to 17 or 18 and set the HTT to 210 and go from there.

Does your chip need 1.55 to reach 4000 or did you just set it that high? If it doesn't need 1.55, there's no reason to run it that high.
What were your temps?
At 4000 your NB should be around 2600-2800 so set the NB multi to 13x-14x and bump the voltage slightly. If you want to OC the ram, you can put the CPU multi back down to 17 or 18 and set the HTT to 210 and go from there.

my temperature is about 58*C and maxes around 60*C.

I will try to do what you suggested as even though i have worked on other computers I have never dabbled much in the overclocking so this is a new fun experience for me!

The temps are a bit too high. You should limit it to under 55*.
So did you try lower voltages or is that what your CPU needs to reach 4ghz?

Do you have a "CPUNB VID" (voltage) setting and a "CPUNB frequency" setting in bios? The ram performance might benefit from a fequency of around 2800 but that increase will need to be supported by a voltage increase to about 1.25-1.3. May people also find from a stability standpoint that running the HT Link at about the same speed as the CPUNB when overclocking seems to help so you might try both at 2800 mhz. No voltage increase should be applied to the HT Link.

The temps are a bit too high. You should limit it to under 55*.
So did you try lower voltages or is that what your CPU needs to reach 4ghz?

Last night I went into the BIOS and decreased the voltage and changed the NB multiplier. When I did this I put the voltage control into manual and before i changed anything it was flashing that it was not optimized so i toyed with it a little while and could not seem to get it to work. Therefore i cleared the CMOS and will try again tonight. Keep in mind that I only tried it 2 or 3 times because my wife was working late though and therefore it was my turn to cook dinner.

I am however running at 4000 at the stock voltage settings now which i believe is 1.4

Do you have a "CPUNB VID" (voltage) setting and a "CPUNB frequency" setting in bios? The ram performance might benefit from a fequency of around 2800 but that increase will need to be supported by a voltage increase to about 1.25-1.3. May people also find from a stability standpoint that running the HT Link at about the same speed as the CPUNB when overclocking seems to help so you might try both at 2800 mhz. No voltage increase should be applied to the HT Link.

Yes i have both of those. I will try adjusting only the NB before i touch the ram. I am assuming that that should be enough for now.

Thanks for the advice on the HT Link that will be attempted as well.

quick update:
I now am running at 3.6Ghz with NB at 2600.

I seem to have found that until i reach this point the mobo doesnt like being taken of "auto" for the voltages....which is where i still have mine set at....i will continue to toy with this this sunday when i return from Vegas as I am confident that I can get it higher with some voltage changes. However, with what I have done so far i keep getting blue screens or it hangs and i have to clear my CMOS and start over.

Back