• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Udma 6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shaine11

Registered
Hey i have an Asus P4C800-E Delux and a 74gb raptor. My question is it seems that my hard drive supports UDMA 6 but the highest settings the bios allows me to select for that hard drive is UDMA 5. id like to know if there is a way to change it to UDMA 6 and if there is something wrong?

HD Tune: i have noticed through benchmarks that this hard drive isnt operating at speeds it suposed to the bench was as follows.

transfer rate: Min: 35gb Max: 68gb Average: 61.7
Access time: 8.4 ms
burst rate: 106mb/s
cpu usage 3.7%

Any sugestions? im not sure if this is good bench for raptor 74gb but i dont think it is... please help.

Also whats the promise controller for? everytime i booted it said something like (fast track 378) scanning ide.... did not detect any drives. bios not installed. and it would boot up. asus FAQ said to just disable the promise controller on bios to solve this but exactly what is it for? my understanding is if im not raiding i dont need it?

I have now learned that to use UDMA 6 u need to install the drive on the promise controller before u load the OS and install the driver. I just spent a hole day updating windows and installing things on my hard drive so this would be really inconvinient to do all over again. is switching to the promise controller to get UDMA6 out of it worth it?

Last edited:
Back