• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

uh oh.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
I just realized something. Is it possible to water cool your CPU if your mobo doesn't have those 4 holes in it for mounting a big HS? Do they make good water blocks that use the clips? If not, i can kiss WC good bye :(

Your solution looks ehh..... Interesting junkymagi
I love the look it gives.

I don't have water cooling yet, but I think that if you have only the clips to carry the heat sink, the water in the heat sink,the water in the hose and the hose itself you put quite some stress on the poor little clips.

You might try to fixate them hoses some how so the weight of the hoses and the water in them are already carried by something else than your clips.

Just an idea

Mikeonatrike said:

LoL, thats works....unless u want to use ur case :p

:D :D Welll, actuall, it's in a case right now. I cut out the area behind the motherboard that the clamp occupies and I've got a bolt connecting it to the power supply directly above it (above when the case is stood up) so it doesn't put any twisting force on the motherboard. It still has about 1/4" room between the clamp and the back panel of the case so when the case is closed up, the only thing that tells you that it's watercooled is the 6x6x6" res I have the pump in. I can't run it inline, produces too much heat and stops pumping but pumps perfectly when run submerged. I plan on building a small box to mount under the case to place the res in and might move the heater core down there too.

The back of the motherboard is protected from shorts by a 1/8" plexi spacer. I have it tightened more than is required because all the force is directly over the CPU die, no worries about the block cracking the CPU's core. :D

junkymagi said:
Love that rusty junkyard look.
biggthumpup.gif
Definitely should have a window and lighting to highlight it! Maybe put it in a case like the post apocalypse tower .

Hey, the junkyyard is your friend. errr the junk-yard, hehe.

My brother grabs great stuff from the dump. Boxed game "Birth of the Federation" complete with book, CD (in case) and box. 17" and 15" monitors that work perfectly. Over a dozen subGig hard drives for test and newbie computers. Playstation 1, just needed a cord. HP printer that just needed ink carts. Riding lawn mower (I kid you not, all it needed was a new spark plug, it was cracked and wouldn't run, I think that's why they tossed it).

You wouldn't believe the stuff people throw out. My brother always comes back from the dump than he takes, driving his wife nuts (but she likes the dresses he got her a few months ago, :p )

Yep. Family in a 2 story house had a fire. The second story only got smoke damaged (just a little). Insurance told them to toss everything and video what was tossed and they would be reimbursed for everything.

Damn, wish I knew the name of that insurance agency, I'd like one that actually pays up instead of beats around the bush for weeks. Another friend lost everything in a mobile home fire (woosh, and it was gone). Insurance company dragged it's feet for 6 weeks before paying the minimum. Barely covered the payoff of the mobile home.

On the Maze3SHD waterclock I see that it has a click but can't you just buy the add on for the clip and use it on any amd block or am I wrong. Because when I see a picture of it its just have the bolts is use to hold the clip on the waterblock and then the waterblock can go on the motherboard.

Super Nintendo said:
On the Maze3SHD waterclock I see that it has a click but can't you just buy the add on for the clip and use it on any amd block or am I wrong. Because when I see a picture of it its just have the bolts is use to hold the clip on the waterblock and then the waterblock can go on the motherboard.

I suppose you could use it on any AMD block, providing that the hose barbs are not in the way. Also the height of the block needs to be considered, as not enough pressure could be applyed by the springs if it is a low profile block.

you could always make one or mod one like the DD one... use somthing to amke it fit the block and go aroudn the barbs like a piece of metal or lexan along witht hte clips from the DD one:D

Back