• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultimate build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acidburn2019

Registered
Ok, here's the deal. While being incredibly bored at work today, my friend and I decided to have a challenge. The challenge is to see who can build the "best" computer for $2500. The computer is just the tower itself, does not include the monitor, keyboard or mouse. To find out the winner, we will each pick 5 tests and the winner obviously is the one who wins the most tests. Now the tests do not have to be a benchmarking program, it can be as simple as which computer boots the fastest or as weird as turning the heat up to 100 degrees and seeing which computer fails first. Used parts, overclocking and any software tricks (not cheating) can be used to gain the advantage.
I was wondering what people's take would be and what you guys would personally do both hardware and software wise? We will be using xp, but any and all tips would be welcome. If you would be willing to give me a list of which components you would buy, any software you would recommend to speed things up, or even some tests that would make for an interesting competition it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

wow.. ur *** is loaded ur spending 2500$ and part of the challenge could be witch one dies quiquer... wow..

here i got a new chanllenge u both still make 2 great computers for the same price..

then u give them to me.. ill chose the winner and give the other one to my brother.. how does that sound???? jk lol.. but seriously if u want to got head..

OOOO, nice to see rivalry between friends - that is how you know its a good friendship!

An interesting test I would do is to see who can run the lowest Vcore at stock Hz! Also, see who can reach the highest overclock (percentage wise) for a suicide boot into windows.

Decide on the tests before you even think about which components to buy.

When yall get those rigs put together definitely check out the benching team. Sounds to me it's exactly what yall would want.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=502742

E6850
Asus P5K, Abit IP35, DFI P35
2Gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800
8800GTX
150GB Raptors
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme or water cooling
Corsair HX520

If you wanted to do SLI pick up a 680i instead and a 2nd GPU.

Something like that and you will be good to go.

Yea we're both very competetive and figure this is an interesting way to have a new competition. About it dieing first, I really don't mean have the computer go up in a flaming glory, for all that we could say whos computer can survive the highest fall and still boot. It's more about compromise. He is not planning on doing watercooling, but I am because I feel I will be able to negate the performance he gets from money with overclocking. He knows this which is why there will be a stability test of sorts.
Actually both of the computers will be given away when we are done with them, we both participate in the big brother program and we have decided that we are going to give them to our little brothers, hence why stability is very important. I want something I can give to him that will last, but also be absolutely amazing.
White_Pawn & nsgnsg what would you recommend in terms of motherboard for each of your choices of processor? Keep in mind that I do want to overclock, but I have been out of hte loop for a while now. The last system I build was the one in my sig roughly 2 years ago. Thank you all again.

hi... my older brother died so umm... im looking for a new one... jk jk..

thats a good thing ur doing.. very generous of u..

another thing u could do is sell them and give the money to charaty cause i doubt many brook people need a2500bucks computer

Back