• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultra 120 Extreme Different Mount

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maverick0984

I had a Zalman 9500 in my case and was unhappy with the results I was getting so I decided to upgrade to the Ultra 120 Extreme. I have a V1000B Lian Li mid Tower case. It is actually a fairly large case and it is a stretch to call it a mid tower case. It has a large metal piece which separates the bottom compartment with the rest of the case. The bottom compartment holds the PSU and at most 6 harddrives. I had measured to make sure it would fit, and there was enough room so I ordered. What I didn't account for was the placement of the CPU not being in the center of my "vertical" space if that makes sense. The CPU is closer to the large metal piece. Because of this there is enough room for the cooler but it wouldn't sit on the CPU directly. This method would be to have the air blowing straight out the back to another fan which pulls it out the back.

I do have another option, which is to turn it 90 degrees so that it would be blowing perpendicular to the back fan however (and into my graphics card). The case came with a pretty heavy duty shroud that I think I can jimmy rig to bend the air so it eventually blows out the back after making the quasi-90 degree turn and bypassing the graphics card. The shroud is curved so it wouldn't be air hitting a 90 degree wall anymore, and it would surely "bend" the air towards the exit.

Do people think this is an alright alternative to going back to the Zalman 9500? Sad thing is, I lapped the sucker all the way to the copper before I even noticed I couldn't fit it in the normal way. My only other option would be to dremel out a sizable chunk of the the metal that separates the two compartments. This presents a few problems though. #1, it allows heat from my large PSU to enter into the main compartment where it wouldn't have otherwise. #2, the metal which separates it, spans the length of the case and is a pretty heavy duty chunk of aluminum. It would not be easy to cut through and would destroy the inside aesthetics of an overall beautiful case. I am also able to "kink" it a few degrees to further aim it at the back fan, but not much. Anyone familiar with the install will no it's range of movement after installed.

Right now it is in the case w/o fans installed because that would work the same regardless of how it is oriented. Idle temps before I do anything are pretty decent already, but once it warms up it takes a long time to cool down since nothing is blowing on it.

On a sidenote, the mounting bracket on this thing is horrible crap. After you get 1 screw in, you have to press so hard to get the screw diagonally close enough to the board to catch the threads that it is ridiculous. Since the screw is so tall and the spring so long, you have to put enough pressure to compress the spring enough. I dunno, maybe because I did the install after the motherboard was screwed in and it causes problems with surrounding components, but I did the same thing with the Zalman w/o problems. I just didn't want to have to try to slide the mobo in with this giant thing attached to it. Thermalright needs to talk to Zalman about how they mount theirs and maybe they'll learn a thing or two. Or at least send their engineers to the store to buy a Zalman and maybe learn a thing or two about a real mounting job.

lol, 40+ views and noone responds. Must be a boring topic.

Does anyone have any thoughts if this will be okay?

40+ looks? The heathens. :) Does not look promising. Try having the fan pointing 'down', ditch the triangular piece over CPU, and put a better fan on for exhaust. Might work... Should be better than blowing hot air at your video card.

This is basically where my airflow is sitting right now. I can try the method you just mentioned, but putting the fan underneath the heatsink basically makes it laying on top of the bottom piece of metal, so I can't imagine that before very good for air flow :-/.

The Blue Fan I tried to make it obvious, it is blowing "out of" the page, if that make sense. So it is sucking warm air out of the case from the graphics card and probably some of the air coming up from the CPU now.

The Green Fan that seems to be on top of the graphics card in the drawing is the one inside the card, that blows air out. I have it going at 100%, and it's barely audible.

When I first start up windows at I'm at like 33C, after doing some stuff it settles down to an idle temp of ~38C, then on max load with Orthos (or even TAT for that matter) reaches 55C but any type of "normal" max load barely reaches 50c. That is already an improvement from the Zalman 9500, so I'm happy with that much. All temps are the core temps in Core Temp 0.95. Not just the "CPU Temp".

Air_Flow.jpg

Last edited:
make a spark note version of your original post, i know im too god damn lazy to read that. i always try my best to keep my posts as short to the point as possible. no offense though, i often find my self writing a 2 page essay for my problems lol

I'll try pointing the fan down when I get home, I agree, blowing air through it might be better than trying to suck air out. I definetly cannot place the fan underneath it though. It will physically fit okay, but leaves very little room to create any kind of flow. To put it this way, it's tight enough where it slides in real nice but I don't need to anchor it down at all, heh.

@darkcow: basically, I can't fit the Ultra 120 ex in my case the intended way, to blow out the back fan because of a panel in the case. When I measured it there was enough room, but the CPU socket wasn't centered in that space and I didn't think about it. It thus cut down my "actual space," so to say. So I was basically asking if tipping it on its side (the heatsink) would still be adequate if given the right airflow. Otherwise I would have to cut into the panel or return it. Cutting into the panel is difficult because it is really heavy duty metal, and returning it isn't an option because I already lapped it, heh.

Well, pointing that fan down actually increased my temps by 3-4C which is pretty amazing. I guess the heat probably gets trapped there and then rises back into the CPU. With it sucking out and up it is exhausted by the side fan, and the one blowing it over gets exhausted by the back fan.

Just an fyi for anyone else forced to do something similar. The fan placement in the diagram was the best i could find.

Back