• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultra Taco's Memory Adventures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UltraTaco

It's time to do something new.

2x4 GB mushkin silver line 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 1.5v
+
3x1 GB elpida 1066mhz uh 7-7-7-20? Don't know, but I ran them at 5-5-5-12 1.5v without problems :D
View attachment 196095

Like I mentioned before, great little ram! Can do no error 1600 9-9-9 1.5v I tried before this test, so the big question is, will it blend? At 1527 MHz alongside mushkins??

View attachment 196096

Stay tuned, taco be right back :cheers:

- - - Updated - - -

20 minutos memtest
View attachment 196097

---uodate---
1 hour passed memtest first pass. Time to boot into windows
View attachment 196099

Goofy triple channel:rofl:
View attachment 196101

Running linpack, Mama Mia it's warm. Shows 79° when all this ram is being used!!

View attachment 196102

Update, I'm in prime95. Linkapck froze :chair: :D probably need more Volta

View attachment 196104

ah snap, round eror!!

Increase vtt from 1.275 to 1.2875 probably due to triple channel and more ram. I was running dual channel before.

View attachment 196105

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay,I was running quite lengthy log while offline, so I'll summarize it.

1530 don't work. Tried upping vcore, dram, vtt. Not works. Didn't try loosening timings as it won't give me any positive benefits.

1480 don't work either. It lasts a little longer though, but still throws errors. Perhaps that elpuda set is not as marvellous as I previously thought, or maybe some timings don't work for both sets together, mushoin+elpida.

Error rate definitely slows down with slower clocks, basically taking longer for the error to show up. I kept cpu out of equation by purposely dropping kulti and also kept uncore at 2x ram for later tests and heaving generous vtt feeding them(1.3vtt)

Now I am testing the "mixed bag" at 1333 speed, which is stock for mushkin. It keeps going for quite a while now in prime.

Side notes:
-maybe I need to switch sticks around, try having elpida as primary sticks and mushkins secondary.
-interesting as memtest showed zero problems for an hour, while I didn't even last 2 minutes in prime or occt

It don't work!!
Gents, it just don't work! Subtimings must be incompatible together..?
View attachment 196120

I still want to flip sticks and see what happens, making elpidas primary and mushkins secondary.

Taco be back.

Maybe all the advice youve heard about clocking mixed memory being more difficult is true! :rofl:

Thank you, Mr.Scott, at this point, the title seems more fitting.
ED, we'll see about stickers...:D:burn:

Meanwhile, same sticks different arrangement. I have a feeling this might werk. I was feeling adventurous and cranked her to my 4ghz profile and went full speed ahead into windows! I think it's more stable now. I can feel it in my bones.

View attachment 196121
View attachment 196122

Micro update: definitely more stable, so far 7minutes rock solid!!!

Update------

Grrrrr:mad:, 10 minutes in! Okay, 1.6v dram
View attachment 196123

Didn't even finish typing and posting as it already errores again!! I added more drama volts and now I got multiple errors and much quicker!! :shrug:

Last edited:
So let me get this straight.

You are running 5 sticks of ram with varied capacity and speed/timings to total 11 GB spread across 5 of 6 channels. Did I summarize that right? I think if your MOBO had a speaker hooked up to it, the MOBO would spontaneously develop tourettes.

With that being said, how is the motherboard trying to run this RAM. Triple channel? Dual channel? WTF mode? Hybrid mode. This whole concept made my head hurt so I can only feel bad for the motherboard.

Well it boots.

Anyways, here's how I run it now:

Slot1 elpida 1gb 1066
Slot2 muhkin 4gb 1333

Slot3 elpida
Slot4 mushkin

Slot5 elpida
Slot6 --empty--

It's not like I'm running a bunch of different sticks, just 2 different. CpuZ shows triple, so it's triple channel. 11gb total running at the moment 1472mhz. S far error free prime95, 12 minutes.

Uodate-------

Error again.

I moved mushkin from slot2 into slot6

It gives me lower tRFC reading because of that. Used to be 175, now 74
View attachment 196124

perhaps I should explain why I'm trying to make it work. My thinking is, I have these sticks not doing anything in the drawer, and they're great sticks, I should make them work!!

---update---
I think I finally nailed it! 20 minutes and not a single error! Stable, like a rock! :cheers:

Update------

Dang it, lasted 53 minutes and now error :mad:

Last edited:
taco giving up. Folks, it don't werk**.
Save your pain. Don't mix sticks.

I'm going from the walk of shame. Heading for the Mobo to get my elpidas out.

View attachment 196132
View attachment 196133
_______
** Well, it might, but did not work for me. Maybe if I ran them at 50mhz

Last edited:

I'm going from the walk of shame. Heading for the Mobo to get my elpidas out.
_______
** Well, it might, but did not work for me. Maybe if I ran them at 50mhz
Found this thread kind of late.

But yeah, you shouldn't mix different speeds and you definitely shouldn't mix different capacities of RAM, different brands entirely isn't a good idea either though unless you know the sticks have the same DRAM chips. That's just asking for trouble.

Odds are since they're different speeds, different capacities, and different brands entirely you're dealing with different brands of RAM IC chips with different capabilities (i.e. ability to overclock and/or timings they're able to run at for XXXX MHz of speed). That pretty much guarantees issues of some kind.

I've only ever managed to get different capacities of RAM to run together flawlessly once before, but they were from the same brand and the same model line, so there was a fair chance in my case that they would work together (I mixed a 2x2GB kit with a 2x1GB kit of DDR2 for 6GB, so this has been a while ago.).

And while you can run 5x sticks in an LGA1366 board that supports six sticks/six slots, it isn't easy to get it working and you have to use certain slots to make it work. I forget what the proper configuration is, but it was something weird.

I'd say find yourself a nice 6GB (3x2GB) ($15-30 probably) or 12GB (3x4GB) ($40-70~ish) RAM kit of matching sticks, you'll be happier in the long run. I think I picked up one 6GB kit for $20, and another for around $12, I don't run them together in the same system though as one is a 1333MHz kit (7-7-7-20) and the other is a 1600MHz kit (8-8-8-24) and filling all slots tends to put more stress on the memory controller and makes overclocking the CPU harder.

Last edited:

Yup. If you're OC RAM, they will default to the lowest speed/timings and be difficult to get anything extra out of. Except PNY RAM. It won't OC if you bribe it, threaten it, beat it, put a nitrous oxide bottle on it, or beam it up to Scotty with a note from Captain Kirk.

Yup. If you're OC RAM, they will default to the lowest speed/timings and be difficult to get anything extra out of. Except PNY RAM. It won't OC if you bribe it, threaten it, beat it, put a nitrous oxide bottle on it, or beam it up to Scotty with a note from Captain Kirk.

^^^Fact ;)

Well they would probably work at like 1067, but that just bad.

Anyways, 8gb is plenty for my uses, playing iTunes. I just thought to break the urban myth which is not a myth.

..that and I just wanted to play with something. Taco try keep itself busy, try to be genius in the process, ...always fails.

Check your RAM usage through your usual activities, you may benefit from quantity over speed. 47 tabs open in Chrome? You want GBs. Three or four single thread applications? Twist it till it megahertz. I've mixed and matched RAM with CPU OC and didn't have a problem, and I needed all the RAM I could get.

Check your RAM usage through your usual activities, you may benefit from quantity over speed. 47 tabs open in Chrome? You want GBs. Three or four single thread applications? Twist it till it megahertz. I've mixed and matched RAM with CPU OC and didn't have a problem, and I needed all the RAM I could get.

I never had a problem with 50 tabs back when I had only 8 gigs =)

Back