• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My next quest in overclocking SEE BLUE POST PAGE2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UltraTaco

Ram :D (667 running @over 900..sort of)
It's actually low vtt
View attachment 195542

Uodate!: 1.35vtt, errors, but it did delay them showing up when bumping vtt few notches until I reached said value. Now dropped bclck don't want to go above that 1.35vtt voltage. At this point, I'm renegotiating with my NB :chair: <--loving this smiley

Update2: this is so much fun, I dunno why, but it is!!

Update3: smack! Again errors. Maybe at this point, it really is ram hickups and not NB. Lowered down to 181bclk, same vtt voltage

Update4: even at 181bclck it would still poop at 4 mins into test. Just to make sure it's not ram, decided to bump dram voltage to 1.6v temporarily

Update5: eh nope, still doing it. Bclock now 180, refused to boot. Power cyxlet, try again, GOLDEN, she's alive! :)

Update6: still no good, at this point I'm determined to keep that 1800 ram speed(900) and upped vtt 1.375 to see what happens. Having a puppy certainly makes OC easier. Many restroom breaks. He keeps picking,up all these wooden gadgets from yard that I take out of his mouth once we come inside. He doesn't mind though, very sweet about it. As I type I glance at the screen to see if she's still green...eh, blue technically. I'm in memtest86 because if prefer to see her good for some time before I let Windows into the jaws of possibly unstable ram or north ridge. I definitely know cpu is stable because I have 1.268vcore and it's good for up to 3.9ghz, and now I'm at 3.8ghz

Update..#? Whatever: STILL NO GOID! ojay, one last time. 1.4vtt

Update: still refusing grr. Ojay, time for plan, lemme think. Okay, let's try this:
View attachment 195543

Update: just thinking,out,loud as I'm watching the screen. What will,come out of this testing? I can't exactly run my ram at specific values. Its all tied to multipliers and if I'm say at like 4ghz, I can only wiggle 1528 or 1910 for ram. I know it won't run at higher for sure. (191x21) I mean I >could< drop cpu multi and crank bclock to match closer to what I'm testing right now, but I'd rather not go that route. So what's the point? For the sheer adrenaline rush of overclocking? Is this what separates us from regular joes?(no offense to joes) We.Are.Top.
...anyways, getting a bit poetic here, back to regular broadcast. So far 9 mins, soo...lower vtt, ram voltage or increase bclock? Hmm, fascinating

Decision: dram voltage goes down first. 1.5v

Update: great, it ran for 6 mins fine, time,to go down on vtt:) 1.362vtt

Update: okay, I'm down to 1.35vtt after 6 mins stable. Sorry for documenting all these updates, I'm writing a book.

Update:great 7 mins passed, let's go into Windows and prime! Bah!! She bsod 3 seconds later :mad: 124 code

Update: tried increase vcore, still bsod124, okay, let's increas vtt...and it runs longer now! So far 1 minute ojay, but I'm at 1.375vtt (1.2125vcore if anyone interested. 175x21 htON)

Update: its still, GARR!! just right now crashed! It ran fine for uuh, more than 5 mins, just long enough to say night prayer and then crashed! Dropping bclck to 173, keeping voltages same

Observation: interestinf, this new prime only runs like 2 tests of each. My very old version kept grinding like 15 tests of each every time..

Observation2: so I probably *could* get ram a little faster, but unfortunately my NB wouldn't let me, unless I increase vtt beyond 1.37 and probably closer to 1.4, and I don't want to go there. I7 920 needs NB at twice ram speed..

She's passing..been over 10 mins. I'm shutting down
---QUITTING FOR TONIGHT--- end of log for now.

Okay, just one more:

Food for thought.

NB frequencies and voltages.
Up to 2666 - default 1.2vtt
2983 - 1.268vtt
3063 - 1.275vtt
3468 - 1.375vtt (if she's even stable..)

Middle two were tested stable, but I'm sure a notch lower would have worked. I just punched them in maybe a little higher than necessary because I didn't want to fiddle with it after spending time caressing vcore. Didn't feel like optimizing vtt all that much because it was still low enough to be comfortable and passed testing. G'night.

Last edited:
Oh
Great then :)

Update: ojay, I have a lazy NB. It bsod again, this time after about 1 hour. Freq isn't even that high, it's like 34xx, but vtt at 1.375 and I don't want to go any higher. Forget it..

Last edited:
When the ram don't go that fast, they don't go that fast. There is nothing you can adjust that will increase silicon quality.

Well, ram can go fast. NB don't wanna..
It's definitely it because increasing vtt made it run co siderably longer, but I don't want to feed it anymore voltage. I don't see the point as I'll never see any benefit from going faster.,

Been a while since I did any NB containing OC, but how are NB temps? Bit of extra cooling on it might help?

Eh, perhaps I should rephrase, integrated memory controller, which is relocated inside cpu on 920. I just kept saying NB because easier to type.

Doh! If I had paid more attention to the CPU I should have noticed that. I call it IMC, still 50% more typing than NB though :D

Hehehe, I feel a little awkward at times when trying to nudge a correction somewhere because I'm quite possible most noob around:p hoping it's actually correct direction..

Have you lowered your multi ? to see if it is the high CPU clock affectingthe oc ?

Put your multi on the lowest setting and then try the same fsb / mem dividers as before .

but some mother boards are picky . They dont like X clock with Y multi . 3670 vs 3630 isnt that much of a difference

Could be, but I'm too mad at it to try again..

On a serious note, I decided I don't need to play around with it. Performance increase will be negjible at best. One day I may revisit it like I did on 4ghz cpu OC and get her stable..

Thank you

IDK if that gen chip has Uncore/cache clocking but I found it made a decent difference with my haswell getting the cache up higher . ddr 1600 vs 2000 @ the same timings doesn't make that much a difference for gaming for me .

On side note you should really be looking for one of the xeons that are cheep on ebay now and oc well on the x58 chipset . You could get a nice boost for 20-50$

In FSX, upping uncore brings up a few fps and little bit less stuttering, so I guess could be worth it. Video rendering thoufh, no difference

This time I'll pobably drive this 920 into ground like overclokrs do and then upgrade..:D you've become an inspiration to me,to continue, sir!

Update: I am back at it!! Dropped bclock 2 notches and started prim again. 171x21, uncle now 3418, ram 1709

Update: horray!!:D no blue screen this rime, but,i did get an error on one of the works. Dropped bclk 2 more notches. Restart. But this is getting reticulum!:mad: I'm at like 3.3ghz IMC and she's still not happy with 1.37v? Maybe I got this all wrong, maybe it's the ram after all..well, lemme run this one more,time and see what happens

Update: its ram!!:mad: dang it, all this time!! Now I need to crank my IMC to like 4ghz again!!

Update: okay. Into my 4ghz cpu preset, VTT 1.375 ram1523, testing IMC 4ghz no boot, 3.8ghz, boots memtest86 million errors, 3.6ghz, seems okay for now.

At this point I think I'm done testing ram speeds. I believe sitting at 1523 9-9-9 is good enough as it allows me to 4ghz cpu stable, so I'll just play with IMC to try to give me some boost on cpu cache

Observation: I really like this methododology where you set max comfy volts and work your way,up to max you can get at that voltage. I don't remember who said it, but I kinda like it this way :)

Update: I'm now in windows. 3.6 imc prime goes into bsod soon after start.. 3446 seems to be good so far. I'll probably test a little longer and continue tomorrow, don't feel like running stuff overnight when I'm this early into frequency choices.

Observation: I know folks say 124 bsod means vcore, but on mine, it seems to cause low vtt. When I drop uncore freq or increase vtt, stuff stays stable longer. Funny, because always been like that for me.. :chair: I'll probably duck now from someone throwing a chair my way. :D stubborn taco!!

Update: ogo!! I just got bsod101! Haven't had those,in a while. Anyaus, I'll,probably continue tomorrow. This begs investigation. I usually got hose when you core was,low

G'night.

Last edited:
are you shooting for tightest timings, highest frequency ? im not sure what your trying to hit?

are you shooting for tightest timings, highest frequency ? im not sure what your trying to hit?

Well, me neither. I guess highest frequency, I dunno. I believe I'm hitting a steep climb voltage wise on VTT after around 3200, so I may not be able to find out how high ram can go. I mean I could do like other men and set 1.45vtt, but it's outside,of my,comfort zone. For now I'm sticking to max known good ram config and trying to notch up IMC a few mhz higher to where it's still in good volts range without goii,g extreme.

In other wods, I'm just messing with it for enjoyment of safe overclocking :).

As of right now, last known good IMC freq was 3050 at 1.275vtt, now I bumped 1.284vtt and 32 nvm, just looked and it blue screen.

Brb

Update: As I was saying trying now 1.3vtt 3254hz imc

Update: very interesting. It just doesn't want to go much above that 3ghz Mark wihout good chunk of volt. Bumped to 1.325vtt

Last edited:
Update: its ram!!:mad: dang it, all this time!! Now I need to crank my IMC to like 4ghz again!!

Observation: I really like this methododology where you set max comfy volts and work your way,up to max you can get at that voltage. I don't remember who said it, but I kinda like it this way :)

That would be me. On both of those. ;)

Ah yes sir! Thank you! :) I'm trying to stick to that, but often finding myself negotiating: "okay, my max voltage doesn't work, I guess, perhaps I *could* give you another notch or two :chair: pleas work now"

Anyways, correcion and update: I actually was at 1.3125 on m last one. Got a rounding error, now I bumped her to 1.325vtt. Probably won't mess with her nomor

I actually realized just now. If default IMC is 2134hz, then 3200 is a healthy 50% ovrlock, no wonder she don't cooperate:nuts::fight:

Smak! Whole rig is unsgable!! Since updating to latest prime95 dingy, it won't work even on known good config!!

Froze on me..
I know it's cold and all outside, but still

Back