• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultrawide Monitor for Watching 4k MKV Files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turok_t

Registered
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to seek your humble advice as I am planning to get a new monitor. I’m planning to buy a new LG 38” 21:9 ultrawide monitor (38GN950) that has a resolution of 3840 x 1600. I will be using this for daily use, but a big part of it will be watching 4k movies/MKV files using VLC player. A lot of my movies are 2.40:1 aspect ratio. I just have a few questions if you don’t mind.

1. If I watch these movies fullscreen using VLC player, will there be black bars on the side/top? Or will the movie fill up the entire screen for maximum immersion?
2. Will the movie look stretched in full screen?
3. Even though the resolution of 4k UHD movies does not match the native resolution of this monitor, how will the image look? Will it look similar to a 4k (3840 x 2160) native monitor?

Thanks for all your help!!

If you are doing it for mostly watching movies, I would pass. I would say that an ultrawide is more for a) productivity and b) gaming at specific resolutions that support it.

If the monitor is far away then 4K. If you are sitting at a desk video editing 4K on a computer monitor then a QuadHD monitor is probably going to be sufficient. Go to a shop and look at 4K monitors compared to QuadHD when you are closer you will see there is not a whole pile of difference between them. I edit on a QuadHD monitor in 4K and then playback the final render on a proper 4K television.

The budget difference between 4K and QHD is usually a lot.

z3qcvbhzt2c61.jpg
???

Back