• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unable to adjust cpu frequency.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skirmish

Registered
So, I haven't messed with over clocking in a while and when I re-installed my system, all of my bios settings reset themselves because there's overclocking software on my driver cd. Anyway, I'm confused about how I'm supposed to change the cpu frequency in the bios settings.

I have an AMD Phenom II x6 1055t at 2.8 ghz and I want to be at about 3.5.

I have an ASrock motherboard.

Turbo core technology is turned off.

Overclock mode is set to "Optimized". The other options are, CPU PCIE Sync, CPU PCIE Async, and Auto. Only the sync options let me change the CPU Frequency, but only down, not up.

Also, the frequency multipliers only go up to 15. I remember when I first OCed it, I had just adjusted the CPU frequency, but now it won't let me. What do I need to do?

You want to choose CPU PCIE Async. That will lock the PCI-e bus so that you can overclock the main system bus which is what will speed up the CPU. The PCI-e bus will not tolerate much overclock at all it will cause instability very quickly if you don't.

The easiest way for you to enable us to help you is to take some digital pics of your bios overclocking sections and attach them with your posts. That way we can see what you see in bios. I will cut and paste in a script I have that explains how to do that.

Besides Turbo Core, you also need to disable Cool N Quiet and C1e. Then go into Windows Control Panel and set the Power Options to High Performance if it is not already configured that way.

What ASRock motherboard model do you have? What is the make and frequency rating of your ram? What is the make, model and wattage of your PSU. What is the make and model of your video card? What is the make and model of your case and tell us about the number and placement of case fans as to intake and exhaust.

To attach a pic with a post, first crop and save the pic to disc. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. Notice I said “crop” because we don't want a bunch of desktop real estate to be included in the pics because it just shrinks the relevant portions of the pic down so that the details become illegible. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will load the file browser/up-link tool and the rest will be obvious. You can attach up to three pics at a time but if you need more you can add more by going back into the edit mode of the post.

Alright. Set to Async.

Alright, pics are easy.

Coon n Quiet is also disabled. And it's already set to high performance.

Mobo: ASRock N68-VS3 UCC

I hope these will do.

1.png

2.png

3.png

EDIT:

Video card, AMD Radeon HD 6670
Not sure what PSU is but I know it's enough.
I bought the computer through iBuyPower, and the heat sink looks decent and it has a fan on top. I also have a fan on the back and an external mini fan pointing downwards into the case from a grid on the top, not exactly because I need it, but just because I have no other use for it so why not?

Last edited:
2nd pic you uploaded shows CPU Frequency (MHz) _________[200] You will have to increase that gradually by 10's at first and then 5's as you reach the max that your cpu will overclock up to. Voltage to cpu will have to be increased and n0t on AUTO at some point to allow cpu to run faster and not error. Suggested that you run Prime 95 Blend mode for 20mins to see if there is a failure of cores at each step UP the overclock ladder.
RGone...

2nd pic you uploaded shows CPU Frequency (MHz) _________[200] You will have to increase that gradually by 10's at first and then 5's as you reach the max that your cpu will overclock up to. Voltage to cpu will have to be increased and n0t on AUTO at some point to allow cpu to run faster and not error. Suggested that you run Prime 95 Blend mode for 20mins to see if there is a failure of cores at each step UP the overclock ladder.
RGone...

This is exactly what i did the first time, except, now, when I click the plus sign on my keyboard, it doesn't increase.

EDIT: I also have already have prime95 ready to go.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm just dumb. Wrong plus key. x.x Noob mistake.

Last edited:
Disable AMD I/O C-state Support.

Before you click on the plus sign on the keyboard make sure you have arrowed down or up to the line item you are trying to change, i.e., CPU Frequency (Mhz). It will turn white when you are on it, I believe. You will also may need to lower the starting speed of the memory with Memory Clock to make some headroom for the overclock. The memory frequency speeds up in lockstep with the CPU Frequency and will quickly cause instability if you don't back it off and it's already at it's max rated frequency.

Okay, what would be most helpful to us now would be for you to download and install CPU-z and then post pics of these four tabs: CPU, Memory, SPD and Motherboard. That will give us lots of info about your hardware and current bios settings.

Also, your motherboard is not a good one for overclocking a six core CPU. It doesn't have a heavy duty power phase component and no heatsinks on the VRM (voltage regulation module) I'm guessing. It's rather a budget motherboard.

What were you max CPU and core temps when you ran Prime95? That's an important piece of info to know. Run it again for 20 minutes with HWMonitor open in the background and then post back with pics of the HWMonitor interface so we can see those max temps under load.

Okay, disabled.

And yeah I got it..

I ran prime for 10 mintues with no overclock and got temps of 52-53 when i restarted and looked the bios.. I tried core temp but I think it's off 10 degrees. Anyway, I'm assuming that's not good? Maybe I should just leave it alone?

If the temp is acceptable, I'll post pics of cpu-z, but I'm really highly doubting it.

Generally speaking to suggest changes it is easier if we know certain things. Of course beginning with a setting that is 'known' to pass P95 Blend mode makes good sense, because a failed P95 Blend test is not going to give a baseline of a configuration that 'does' work.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Back