• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Underclocking ASUS M3A78-EM ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eds

Hey guys

I was wondering if it was possible to underclock/downclock/undervolt the ASUS M3A78-EM?

I've tried SetFSB but my PLL is not supported. Are there other softwares that can get the job done?

The PLL is ICS 9LPRS485

Thanks! :salute:

:welcome: to OCF!

Hmmm, it would really help to know what CPU you're running.

You can lower the CPU multiplier on all AMD CPU's since before the s939 days, that's been 5 years. Lowering the HTRef (reference clock) is not the best way to under-clock the CPU ... ;)

Thanks!

My CPU is:

AMD Phenom II X3 720 Processor @ 2821 MHz

And if it matters, my BIOS:
BIOS Type AMI
System BIOS Date 03/27/09
Video BIOS Date 06/12/09

Company Name American Megatrends Inc.
Product Information http://www.ami.com/amibios

The 720BE will probably under-volt at stocks speeds. My 940BE, virtually the same chip with an extra core, can run it's stock 3.0 GHz at only 1.15 vCore. How low do you want to go with it ...?

Ahh I see,

I'd like to go as low as it can go. Can you do it through BIOS or will it have to be done from a program?

I'm sorry for the ridiculous questions, i'm a newb at things like this :)

The only stupid question is the question you don't ask. ;)

I'd go through BIOS.

When you say "as low as it can go" what do you mean by that? Are you referring to the vCore at stock speeds? If so, then all you have to do it give it a try dropping maybe 0.05v each time and testing for stability. Once you start getting errors in Prime95 or OCCT then increase the vCore back up 0.05 (to where is was in your last step) and test for a longer time.

But you were talking about under-clocking earlier, which is what I was asking about there - though I can see where you might have read it differently. Sorry 'bout that. If you still want to under-clock it how slow do you want to go? There are some stock Phenom-class that are set as low as 2.2 GHz ...

Again, very sorry but i'm lost here! I literally have no idea what you've just said and I feel horrible

In my BIOS, there isn't an option in dropping voltages (no front side bus option or anything), only going up by small intervals in other words overclocking?

I want to underclock it by FSB if that's possible. Sorry for the confusion

No, you can't reduce the clock (FSB) speed lower than 200 MHz but you can lower the CPU mutliplier.

You've got a 720BE, which runs at 200x14 = 2800 MHz. If you wanted to you could change that to 200x12 = 2400 MHz ...

a

Thanks but there is no other way to do it from the FSB?

So this motherboard is unable to uc from the fsb?

Back