• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Underpeforming Megahalems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zone15

After moving my build into my new P280 case, I was doing some tests and noticed the temps on my Megahalems seem a little high. The temps were pretty much the same in my Antec 902 but I assumed maybe they were a little bit high because I needed to clean the heatsink of some dust. Now here it is, dust free and it's still a little high to my liking.

I've got a Noctua NF-F12 PWM fan on the Megahalems as a push fan. I've tried adding a pull fan to it in the past and no matter what the fan it seems they all like to whine when pulling, so I've stuck to the one NF-F12. I've got my 2500K OC'd to 4.4 GHz @ 1.26v (under load it fluctuates between 1.256-264v).

The ambient temperature in the room was 65F/18C at the time of the test. I recorded the lowest temps at idle and then ran Prime95 blend for 15 minutes and recorded the highest temps.

IDLE(*C):
25 / 24 / 28 / 23

LOAD(*C):
53 / 55 / 57 / 53

I ran the test again with the current ambient temperature of 70F/21C and got these results:

IDLE(*C):
27 / 28 / 31 / 26

LOAD(*C):
57 / 60 / 61 / 57

Do these temps seem high to anyone else or am I just over-reacting? Is this still in the normal range? Is this still a safe temperature? This test was done at 70F which is usually within a degree of the warmest this room gets.

I don't know if maybe it's not mounted great or what. I originally used the TIM that came with the Megahalems, the Prolimatech PK-2.

Seems fine to me... both of them. Notice how you have a 3C difference or so in temps, that effects your temperatures in a 1:1 manner.

That said, TIM application, mount, and case airflow to name 3 things, all play a huge roll in temperatures and seeing a couple C difference to start, any one of those things could have caused this temperature increase above the difference in ambient.

Dont worry about it, that CPU is good to 80C while stress testing (more actually but...)

Back