• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Underperforming 8800gtx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kessomatt

Hi all, first post here. I just installed an evga 8800gtx and have been getting the same benchmarks as my old 7800gtx. At first I thought it was crap vista drivers, so I reinstalled XP only to get the same results. I did get a messge from xp that my video card is not getting enough power. Its a 600w ocz powerstream with dual rail. I called tech support a few days back to verify that it was enough, and the tech said that as long is there is at least 30 amps combined I would be fine. After some research(and obvioulsy the message) it looks like the tech was wrong.

Here is the specs on my supply:

http://www.hardware.info/en-UK/productdb/bGpka5iSmA/viewproduct/OCZ_Powerstream_600/

My system:
e6700
p5w dh deluxe
2 gigs corsair xms2
WD 74 gig raptor sata
wd sata 320 gig

Well combined output is 38amps for that psu so it should have been enough. Not quiet sure it is psu or something else.

Thats what I thought, but I still get the message everytime I boot up that the card is underpowered. On the box it says 12v needs at least 30 amps. If one of my rails is 20, and the other 18, doesnt that mean that the only one of my rails is going to my components(vid card, drives etc)

kessomatt said:
Thats what I thought, but I still get the message everytime I boot up that the card is underpowered. On the box it says 12v needs at least 30 amps. If one of my rails is 20, and the other 18, doesnt that mean that the only one of my rails is going to my components(vid card, drives etc)
30amps is for the whole system not just for the graphic card. Though if you have chance trying another psu.

Last edited:
OCZ 600 has caused alot of grief among CF and SLI users. With the power requirements of G80 that is also now happening to single card users, you need a new PSU.

meionm said:
30amps is for the whole system not just for the graphic card. Though if you have chance trying another psu.

man do I feel stupid. one of the pci-e plugs wasn't snapped in all othe way. it seems to be working fine now. I no longer get the power supply message on bootup, and getting 10400 in 3dmark06. Is there a good utility out there I can use to see how close this card is to to pushing my psu to the limits?

Back