• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlimited stutter works

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DiamondEddie

Hello.
I have kinda bizzare problem with stutter which i cant comprehend. So i had my old PC for around 8 years(motherboard asus p7p55d-e LX / CPU i5 760 / ZOTAC gtx 460, monitor benq gl2460hm, Win 7). And for at least last couple of years i was getting stutter in some mostly modern games. Every time fps went down (like from 100 to 90 or from 60 to 56, in some games loss of even 1 fps was enough) game freezed a bit. Well, i thought "my GPU is old so that is the case", but one day PSU went to a better place and took GPU with it. So i went and bought new PSU zalman zm700-lx and new GPU MSI gtx 1060. And... stutter didnt go anywhere. It was exactly the same. So i tried everything i found on the internet, nothing helped. So i got myself new mobo gigabyte ga-z270-gaming k3, new CPU i5 7600, some ddr 4 memory, SSD (kingston SV300S37A) and new hdd, installed win 7. Basically i got completely new PC. And guess what? Stutter is still there. I tried different monitor(actually it was really old acer v193), different SATA/HDMI/DVI/power cables - nothing helps.

Any ideas?

- - - Updated - - -

Cant find how to edit post.
i had 8gb of RAM before and i have 8gb now.
I have stutter like this

There is a software suite that is notorious for causing this. We've had this same kind of report several times of late and it turns out to be software-related. Let's see, is it Asus AI suite or was it the Corsair Link stuff. Corsair Link I think. Got that on your system by some chance?

I run Link and CUE and don't have any problems.

Your memory and disk access are pretty pegged. I would definitely look at getting another 8GB of ram. The game shouldn't be pegging your drive so hard. Maybe because you are recording.
How large is your SSD and how much free space?
Are you running any AntiVirus?

I dont have any software you guys mentioned, im not recording and im pretty sure stutter has nothing to do with amount of RAM because even games like necrovision(2009) or akiba's trip are stuttering. I have 120 GB ssd with 60 gb of free space right now.
After windows i installed(beside frameworks, drivers and stuff like that) only steam, skype, browsers and xbox gamepad drivers along with SCP drivers. I also installed sandboxie but i think it was after i tested games. Well, i found this thread(https://github.com/nefarius/ScpToolkit/issues/271) and using that solution i was able to stop stuttering in akiba's trip(which had massive stutter even though fps never changes at all). Stutter stoped literally in only one game. So I uninstalled xbox gamepad drivers and scp, but that didnt help.

What kind of vSync do you use ? The “Fast” that was introduced with Pascal (your 1060) causes stuttering if you can’t maintain steady FPS at your monitors resolution.

im not using vsync most of the time. And i tried putting it on "off" in nvidia control panel.

Is your cpu cooler set on properly ? fans running ok (might be heat throttle) ? Or a bad install from the nVidia drivers.

EDIT: have you seen the comments in the video you linked ? if it's a memory issue you might want to set a fixed 16gb pagefile to compensate for only having 8gb ram.

Everything is fine with temperatures. I already have pagefile. I could reinstall video drivers, but what are the chances?

welp you replaced everything and the problem persists. the only thing your current rig has in common with your old rig is the amount of ram...and the problem persists...hmmmm. borrow 16gb of ram and test it or take your new rig to the shop and have them test 16gb for you.

Check to see how much ram you are using in task manger while gaming. Did you do a clean install of windows?

It is but I found once I had 16 gigs I got a bit better FPS and it used more than 8gigs where when I had 8 it didn't go over 7.4 ish

For helping the OP I was just showing that 8 GBs in BF1 will not stutter.:) When I don't have the recommended amount of memory for games the outcome is stalls while memory swaps with the hard drive.

Most peeps can’t differentiate between stalls/stutter/micro-stutter, all they see is a break in smoothness ;) Check if when it happens the HDD led is on/you can hear the HDD working overtime. Does is break audio as well ?

+1 for checking the HDD led is on when it stutters.

Well to help out the peeps a stall is a long period of time the screen freezes and a stutter is a hiccup then a micro stutter is less than a half hiccup.

In BF1 I have stuttering on some severs and when I switch severs it goes away sometimes. I don't know what causes it?

Last edited:
Online games is a bugger to diagnose, sometimes its lag, sometimes its stutter, sometimes its loading issues. I'm playing Dead by Daylight and half the time its connection problems from their servers :(

Back