• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unofficial Wolfdale E8400/E8500 OC Reports

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think mine has been "degraded" a little.

It was stable at 1.216v, now I'm priming at 1.23v. I know what has caused it, the last few days i have been benching it, mostly around 1.475v. A couple times a 1.55v. Maybe it won't degrade anymore :beer:

Going for an hour now at 4411...as usual I have a high VID, but as usual I've got pretty high clocks. :) Air with Tuniq Tower and eVGA 790i, a week 805.

I dunno how accurate the temp is supposed to be, can anyone comment? It's spiked to 83C on a couple of occasions.

Attachments

• prime8500.jpg
    prime8500.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 1,364
You are testing 4.4Ghz stability @ 1.544V, on AIR!?

WHAT IN GODS NAME DO YOU TH-

Oh it's Gautam

That VID is pretty high though :(

These things run hot, at least compared to what coretemp reports on 65nm. They're even high when monitoring with Realtemp. My 3350 idles around 52° on H2O @ 3.6GHz, loaded around 67°, all on default vcore ;)

CPU: E8400
ES/Retail: Retail
Batch #: Q813A199
Ship/Packaging Date: 5/1/2008
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): 1.125V / 1.435v(BIOS setting), 1.41v(idle), 1.38v(load)
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed): 4.004 GHz (24/7)
Motherboard: ASUS P5K Deluxe
BIOS: 0809
-----
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): 6-5-5-18
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)): 2.30v (BIOS setting)
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution: AC Freezer 7 Pro
*Extra* Paste(s)/Compound(s)/Other(s): AS5

I have to admit, the changes to the cpu and NB ref voltage have helped my clocks so far. I was struggling to get more than 11 min stable (prime95) at 4.05MHZ..I have the voltage at 1.39v actual and still no go. However, I changed the cpu ref to .63 and the NB to .67 and have been going for a couple of hours now..there may just be something to this theory after all:beer:

Of course, I think that my clocks are still not right, but that is another thread;)

I have to admit, the changes to the cpu and NB ref voltage have helped my clocks so far. I was struggling to get more than 11 min stable (prime95) at 4.05MHZ..I have the voltage at 1.39v actual and still no go. However, I changed the cpu ref to .63 and the NB to .67 and have been going for a couple of hours now..there may just be something to this theory after all:beer:

Of course, I think that my clocks are still not right, but that is another thread;)

Update...lasted for 2hrs 11 min....:eh?:

CPU:e8400
Batch #: q813a194
Ship/Packaging Date: 05/06/09
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): stock was 1.2 oced at 1.42 (and dropping!)
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed): 4.05
Motherboard: Asus p5k SE
BIOS: latest version
-----
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): 5-5-5-12
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)): 2.0 (and dropping!)
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution: Thermal Right ultra 120 extreme
*Extra* Paste(s)/Compound(s)/Other(s):Artic Silver on Heatsink

ES/Retail: E-Bay
Batch #: Q746A489
Ship/Packaging Date: 01/09/08
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): 1.2/1.3
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed): 500x8 Stable
Motherboard: Asus Commando P965E
BIOS: 1605
-----
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): 5-6-6-15
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)): AUTO, PC Probe says 2.27, but it reports some voltages .50v too high.
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution: CoolIt Freezone, modded
*Extra* Paste(s)/Compound(s)/Other(s): Shin Etsu X-23
-----
Additional Comment(s): This is just for now, new board, RAM and PSU coming
in the mail. I have pushed it harder, but nothing Orthos Stable. I will post
another set of results when everything is up and running.

ES/Retail: Retail (Purchased here)
Batch #: Q743A
Ship/Packaging Date: To follow
Voltage(s) (Vid/OC'ed): 1.175/1.336
Speed: 4.3Ghz
Motherboard: Abit IP35-E
Cooling: Coolit Systems Freezone

Currently fine tuning stability and soon replacing ram in the hope of hitting 4.6Ghz 24/7 @1.37v or less.

SS to follow.......

Last edited:
CPU: E8500
Batch #: Q807A185
Ship/Packaging Date: 04/07/08
Voltage(s) (Stock/OC'ed): 1.2250v/1.30625v
Frequency(ies) (OC'ed):4.0GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-x38-DQ6 F9a
BIOS: F9a
-----
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Timing(s)): 5-5-5-16
*Extra* Memory(ies) (Voltage(s)): 2.08v
*Extra* Third Party Cooling Solution: Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme with 2x120mm Fan
*Extra* Paste(s)/Compound(s)/Other(s):AS5
-----

ES/Retail: Retail (Purchased here)
Batch #: Q743A
Ship/Packaging Date: To follow
Voltage(s) (Vid/OC'ed): 1.175/1.31
Speed: 4.3Ghz
Motherboard: Abit IP35-E
Cooling: Coolit Systems Freezone

Currently fine tuning stability and soon replacing ram in the hope of hitting 4.6Ghz 24/7 @1.37v or less.

SS to follow.......

How many hrs stable is it at this point?

I'm at work, the final testing phase begins in T minus 2 hours. I refuse to stress while I'm not home as I'm the only member of the household who knows anything about computers. I figure I'll start tonight when I get home and if it's stable overnight, I'll let it go for the 8 hours I'm at work(biting my nails the whole time) and post results after work. I figure that should be a total of 18 hours 30 minutes by that time.

Going for an hour now at 4411...as usual I have a high VID, but as usual I've got pretty high clocks. :) Air with Tuniq Tower and eVGA 790i, a week 805.

I dunno how accurate the temp is supposed to be, can anyone comment? It's spiked to 83C on a couple of occasions.

first off, as others have said...

1.54v, what are you thinking... oh, okay, we've been down that road :)

Props for having the cojones to push to 1.54v to achieve 4.5GHz though! :D

As for your temps, its been my impression that the TJMax for these chips is actually 95C, not the 105C that CoreTemp uses. Since these programs calculate your "actual" temp as just a function of how far you are from the TJMax, CoreTemp gives you 10C higher than it probably is. That said, you can subtract 10C from your Coretemp, or just use Realtemp, which has the 95C adjusted TJMax for the 45nm chips.

Also, its been my understanding that one should absolutely never hit or go over 20C under TJMax. Since its 95C for these chips, and your adjusted spike puts you at 73C, you might want to lower your VID; if not for temp damage, then for electromigration. Have a heart and love your E8X00... stop the torture now! :D

PS - You're crazy!!! I'm afraid to go over 1.4v, and thats been with temps no higher than 65C! :eek:

Last edited:
Back