• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

unsure if my Chiped CPU is dead

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XPogiGTIVR6X

yah, Well a trace line was fried, fixed it with a thin peace of speeker wire. booted up, saw the keyboard and mouse. now my hard drive is acting up, something about windows protection error,I need to restart, blah blah blah. but whats odd, when I blew up my PS\2 ports I took my whole computer appart, and put it in boxs full of that popcorn foam. Vid and sound card in antistatic bags, and my hard drive alone in the boxs. now I fix the trace, and hook every thing back up, I cant start windows. now My proccessor the middle silverish thing, i think Its called the Proccessor DIE, or something. Is kinda chiped in the corner, not huge, REALLY smallb but noticable(HSF install problem), but every thing boots up fine, BIOS comes up, every thing is being seen, DVD, CD burner. Hard Drive. My HSF is the globalwin something, with the black Delta fan( it SCreams) 1.4Ghz not over clocked, every thing "stock" 256 DDR, and Geforce 2 GTS, and a crap sound card.

**Subject Line edited by Moderator**

Profanity is not allowed in these Forums. Alternate spellings, in an attempt to skirt around the "filter", is also not allowed. Please refrain from swearing, especially in the subject line of your posts in future.

Mr B
Forums and Classifieds Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm, well from my experiences, there is usually a beep code to tell you if its fried or not. I was under the impression if the procesor is blown, it wont even boot or anything. But beep. :rolleyes:

That little chip in the corner of the die may be a problem. In my experience, bad memory can also give you windows protection errors. Try a different CPU and then different RAM to see if thats the problem.

I have a K6 500Mhz, I dont know if it will work in the same slot, and if it does, will DDR work with it?

XPogiGTIVR6X said:
I have a K6 500Mhz, I dont know if it will work in the same slot, and if it does, will DDR work with it?

In a word, no. The T-BIRD / DURON line use a socket A whereas a K6 uses a socket 7 / super socket 7 (100MHz FSB)

It sounds like you could use some time spent in the "Beginners Guides" located here;

http://www.overclockers.com/topiclist/index04.asp#BEGINNER

Spend some time getting to know how everything works together and what works together and you will find yourself having more successful results on your overclocking endeavors.

Good Luck!

awww hell, beginer? :mad: im not a "newbie." heh, anyone with a 1.4Ghz Athlon they wana sell????

Back