• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade from amd 255

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whitworth2001

Registered
Hi all

I want to upgrade my CPU to a better version but torn on what to get or wait for pd to come out dnt no when this will be or price but am looking at about £140 was thinking of the fx8120 or 6200 am not that up to date with the latest CPUs so any help would be great I want to max out battlefield 3 soly a
gaming rip
My specs
Gtx560ti oc
Amd 255 3.4ghz
Asus m5a78l-m
16gb ddr3 1333mhz Cross air
Sonic view 24" hd monitor

Cheers

Last edited:
Well a nice quad core would help you out alot what about overclocking what you currently have ?

Even if the bios supports FX I would absolutely not run one on that board you have.A nice quad core Phenom II however would probably be a nice upgrade, or even an X6 Phenom Thuban would be good.

Thanks for the replys

Why wouldn't you run the fx on that board any reason?

Are the phenom better the the fx chips and good for gaming ?

Are the thuban chips better then the bulldozer for gaming then ?

Clock for clock and core for core, yes they are. When you get up into the FX 8120-8150 models they are a little better for gaming than the Thubans, however, when fully overclocked with top of the line air cooling (think, Noctua D14) or a nice water kit like the Corsair H100. I'm not sure how far your motherboard will allow you overclock one of those, however. You might also look at the PII 960T which often unlocks to six cores to become the Thuban it started life as and overclocks nicely. Still available on NewEgg, I think.

Back