• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade GTS 250 to GTX 1050

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theapodan

Registered
The last new game I played, aside from FTL, was Borderlands 2. I'd like to play Fallout 4, but I understand that my graphics card doesn't support it.

The question is, can I get away with just upgrading the graphics card in my system? Anyone been in the same boat and gotten a satisfactory result from just upgrading graphics card?

AMD X3 425
Nvidia GTS 250 512 MB
8 GB DDR2 ram
Monitor is 1680x1050

The card I'm thinking of is the GTX 1050, mostly because my budget is ~120$, at most, and I assume ATI drivers still suck in linux, so ATI is out.

Been down that road it might be playable at lowest settings at 20-25 fps or so but as soon as you go near the city and anywhere where there is alot of stuff going on expect >5 fps
that was a C2D E7300 @ 4ghz

Last edited:
Prolly better off going console. BF deals PS4 slim will be $200 and prolly find an XB1S for that or less. Can get either used for $125 or so would bet.

Well, nuts. I can't afford to build a new PC. I guess I'm just stuck.

I've thought about getting a console, but I dont like FPS on console, and I don't own a TV.

Hello, theapodan, Well, GTX 1050 is not bad option. I am also using NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 by MSI. I am very satisfied with it. Can run high-end games at decent FPS, Solid base clock and memory speed and DDR5 graphics with 768 processors.

Its not the gpu, its his CPU thats the problem. His cpu wont work for any modern games, so a 1050 will be a useless purchase.

HEAR ME OUT!

Dont buy a new gpu; get this thing instead.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIAAJ26KC2667

Dont need a gpu, and if you wanna get a gtx 1050 low profile later on; itll fit in just fine. The i5 3470 hd 2500 graphics are actually "ok" (well... it'll play fo4 at your res i think). Note, it has a windows 10 version for 20 bucks more; I'd just go that route personally. So for just a little more money you can get basically an entirely new setup instead of polishing a turd.

edit : .... just went out of stock, sorry. Tons of similar types of pc's there around the same cost though.

Last edited:
Its not the gpu, its his CPU thats the problem. His cpu wont work for any modern games, so a 1050 will be a useless purchase.

HEAR ME OUT!

Dont buy a new gpu; get this thing instead.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIAAJ26KC2667

Dont need a gpu, and if you wanna get a gtx 1050 low profile later on; itll fit in just fine. The i5 3470 hd 2500 graphics are actually "ok" (well... it'll play fo4 at your res i think). Note, it has a windows 10 version for 20 bucks more; I'd just go that route personally. So for just a little more money you can get basically an entirely new setup instead of polishing a turd.

edit : .... just went out of stock, sorry. Tons of similar types of pc's there around the same cost though.

I don't really know how it would compare , but I was testing DOOM @ 1080p with Nightmare settings . With clocks @ 4.5-4.8 I would hit the 200 fps cap all the time . I wanted to see how much the CPU mattered with this game .
I lowered my Multi to 30 . I went from 200 to 120
I lowered to 20 and fps was 60-80 ( in fights)
I lowered to 10 and I couldn't get the Level to load . I also tried 2 cores only enabled and the game wouldn't load .

My point in all this is I don't think a 2ghz haswell i5 would be that much better than his CPU that a new gfx card wont make a big difference .

Back