• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrade help, finally ready..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Ok, so I got the 8150 AMD in my hands. It arrived last week, and my new check arrived today.

So, I have about $300 to spend, and all I need is a mobo and 2x4gb ram. I decided on that already.

I am 99% sure that I want the Gigabyte UD3 990FXA, it's on special right now at CanadaComputers.com for $109 which is about $20 less then even on newegg and elsewhere. Unless someone can give me some negatives or some other mobo within $20 (max $130) that is better, that is what I'm going with.

Now, the ram, the most important part. I wanted the Samsung MV-3V4G3/US 2x4gb ram, I heard so much amazing stuff about it, but I haven't been able to find it for so long now. I know I should have jumped at it two months ago when it was like $39.99 for 8gb, but now I can only find it here and there on ebay, and it's always over $80, and that is ridiculous, especially considering this:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_312_613&item_id=048709

This ram is the best I could find as far as price/performance goes.

This is what I need. I need to be able to run my new cpu (8150) at 4 to 4.2 GHz constantly on all cores (turbo off of course), on regular stock cooler, this shouldn't be a problem as I have great cooling through the box. On top of that, the cpu I bought is from a friend who I convinced to buy it, and I already tested it at 4ghz constantly for days on P95 and SPi32 and it ran no problem, at stock voltage.

Then I convinced him that the new 8350 is worth the money, and he bought it and sold me the 8150 for $80.

So basically, I need 2x4GB ram. I think that's the way to go. I could go 4x2gb, but that makes no sense right? I could also go 1x8gb and then upgrade in a month with another 8gb stick, but again, I hear that is not nearly as fast in performance as 4gb sticks.

I need 9-9-9-2x timings at 1866, and if I want to run 2000 or higher I'd be willing to go 11-11-11-32 or something similar, but really, I'd be happy with 1866 at the former timings. The ram I gave the link to above, the Vengeance, is 9-10-9-24 at 1866 at 1.5V, if it is great ram I know it will run at these timings at 2000mhz at 1.6 volts, which is great.

But I'm not stuck on any particular company, I think I gave enough info, if anyone can help, or if you need more, please ask, but I want to buy this asap. I can buy online and wait for shipping if the price is right, that is no problem. Amazon.ca and newegg.ca and ncix.com and canadacomputers.com and tigerdirect are the best because I have free shipping with them or they are in my area (Toronto), but I'd consider any other reputable place if the price is right.

If you're wondering why I don't need anything else, check my sig, my rig is ready for this upgrade, I need nothing but the mobo and ram, the cpu I have, the PSU is brand new as you can see, and I have plenty of everything else, including the video card. Right now my cpu/ram is the bottleneck to my video card. I know with the new setup my video card will be the bottleneck, and I want an AMD/ATI card anyway, but until then this card will run anything and everything I throw at it right, with the new rig setup? I think its the eVGA 470GTX, and I want a ATI 7 series maybe, like 7870, I don't even know whats good, whats not.

But lets focus on my 2x4GB ram please, around $50 would be great, but the best would be if someone could point me to the Samsung ram, 2x4GB 1.35V ram. I hear so many incredible things about it, and on top of that it is small so I know my video cards in the future will fit and the ram will not be in the way if I get a really good cooler.

Ok, now that we're here, if someone could point me to a great cooler when I want to run at 4.4GHz or something. My friend got the H80 water cooling and says its amazing, but I was always partial to air, but if the H80 or H100 (Which I hear is no different really) is very small and non-intrusive, I'd consider that, and of course price is an issue, I'd like to spend maximum $60 on a cooler, and it better be way better than stock cooler which already looks pretty cool, as cool as my current cooler for my dual core Opteron which at the time was way over the top, I guess now that is just run of the mill, lol.

Sorry about the long message, but the ram is the important thing here, as well as an alternative to the Gigabyte UD3 990FXA, if there is one that is better and same price (I know Asus is way too much, MSI seems to be int he same range, as does the eVGA, I think).

Thanx for all the help.

When it comes to the MOBO go big or stay home if you really want to get your full clock out of that chip Heres a couple of links to read
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726388
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727263
Also air is probably going to limit your potential. These new FX chips get hot.
Your one pick of ram is on sale
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=613&item_id=038459
Since you are limited on funds to 150 for the mobo the UD5 is on sale
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_335&item_id=039494 But like I said the better the board the happier you'll be.

I'll look into that, thanx.. yeah, I'll spend extra on the mobo, why not, but I always thought that the chipset is the important thing, and 990fx is where it's at for the 8150? Anyhow, thanx for the ideas, any more would be great too, I have a week left before my next pay, next thursday I'm buying both the mobo and 2x4gb ram

(is there ANY reason to go with 2x8gb?, will I EVER need 32gb for example, or if I need 16gb is it better to go with 4x4gb and never upgrade to 32gb because once that is needed the chip will no longer be good enough anyway? or what?)

Back